Coronavirus: Iran Bans Internal Travel, Death Toll Passes 2000

Image Title

Coronavirus: Iran Bans Internal Travel, Death Toll Passes 2000

Reporterly

Reporterly Reporterly

26 Mar 2020

Iran’s government has banned internal travel and warned of a “second wave” of its coronavirus disease outbreak, as the official death toll passed 2,000.

Spokesman Ali Rabiei lamented that some people had ignored advice and travelled during the Nowruz new year holidays.

As a result, he said, people would no longer be able to leave their cities and would soon face other restrictions.

Iran’s leaders have so far resisted imposing lockdowns despite it being one of the world’s worst-hit countries.

They have insisted that all necessary measures to stop the spread of Covid-19 have been taken, despite many Iranians expressing concern.

On Wednesday, health ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour reported 143 new deaths in the past 24 hours, bringing the death toll to 2,077 since mid-February.

He said the number of confirmed cases had risen by 2,206 to 27,017, although the actual number is believed to be far higher.

0 Shares

#coronavirus#covid19#iran