World Health Organisation (WHO) Director General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the global Coronavirus pandemic is a disaster whose effects will last far into the future.
“The pandemic is a once-in-a-century health crisis, the effects of which will be felt for decades to come,” Tedros said during an Emergency Committee on COVID-19 meet.
With nearly 18 million cases worldwide, and still increasing, COVID-19 is not slowing down after seven months.
Tedros pointed, “It’s sobering to think that six months ago, when you recommended I declare a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC), there were less than 100 cases and no deaths outside China.”
The pandemic has so far killed over 680,000 people since last December and the WHO will likely maintain the PHEIC alarm – its highest level – since it was first declared on January 30.
” Early results from serology studies are painting a consistent picture: most of the world’s people remain susceptible to this virus, even in areas that have experienced severe outbreaks,” he said.
“Many countries that believed they were past the worst are now grappling with new outbreaks. Some that were less affected in the earliest weeks are now seeing escalating numbers of cases and deaths. And some that had large outbreaks have brought them under control.”
The Emergency Committee advised all countries to strengthen public health surveillance for case identification and contact tracing, including in low-resource, vulnerable, or high-risk settings and to maintain essential health services with sufficient funding, supplies, and human resources.