All Updates and Live Reporting Across Afghanistan
Two trucks driven by Romanian citizens carrying Afghan migrants have been detected in France and Germany this week.
On January 12 six Afghan refugees starving and frozen, with 4 of them minors, have been discovered in a truck coming from Romania, in a parking in Jura, France, prosecutor Lionel Pascal told France Info.
The young Afghans, aged form 17 to 20, would have been embarked in the truck’s trailer against their will, most probably by people who are part of a criminal group.
Also on January 12, other 8 Afghan migrants have been found in Grüneberg, Germany in a truck registered in Bulgaria but driven by a 51-year-old Romanian driver, according to the German Police.
The Afghans, with ages ranging from 15 to 23yo, were discovered in the refrigerated trailer truck. The minors were taken in a special shelter, while the adults were handed over to the immigration bureau in Eisenhüttenstadt.
The Afghans said they had been boarded in the truck’s trail in Romania. The Romanian driver was heard and was set free for the moment, with no further details available yet.
The Lower House of Parliament for the second time rejected the draft budget for the fiscal year 1400.
Muhammad Aref Rahmani, a Parliament Member on Saturday in a tweet said that the draft budget for the next fiscal year has once rejected by Parliament.
“President Ghani has asked the parliament to reject or approve the draft budget in its entirety, but the House of Representatives wants extensive amendments to this budget,” Rahmani tweeted.
The quorum for Saturday’s session was 135 out of which 15 voted in favor and 120 lawmakers voted against approval of the budget plan.
The second draft budget for the 1,400 fiscal year, with an increase of 20 billion Afghanis, was sent to the Lower House last week for approval.
The second draft budget envisages more than 473 billion Afghanis for the 1400 fiscal year, of which more than 311 billion Afghanis allocated for the ordinary budget and 161.842 billion Afghanis for the development budget.
Taliban militants set fire six feul truck tankers and abducted their drivers in an attack on Doshi-Pul-e Khomri route in Baghlan province on Friday evening, local officials said.
The spokesman of Baghlan Police, Ahmad Jawid Besharat told Reporterly that the Taliban insurgents attempted to burn ten other feul tankers but failed due to the intervention of Afghan security forces.
According to Besharat, Taliban made the attempt after their extortion site in Chashme Shir area came under security forces’ control.
He added that the security forces’ efforts are underway to rescue the abducted drivers.
Social media footages showed black smoke billowing above the site of the attack, with the charred wreckage of dozens of trucks scattered around the area.
The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) on Saturday reported 46 new positive cases of coronavirus out of 1341 samples tested in the last 24 hours.
The ministry also reported 3 deaths and 31 recoveries from COVID-19 in the last 24 hours.
The cumulative number of total cases is now 53,981 the number of total reported deaths is 2,339 and the total number of recoveries is 45,465.
The new cases were reported in Kabul, Herat, Kandahar, Paktia, Nimroz, Panjshir, Khost, Paktika, Sar_e_pul.
Afghan Journalists Safely Committee (AJSC) has strongly condemned the attack on Radio Zohra and urge the government to undertake a thorough investigation so the perpetrators are brought to justice and the information is shared with the media and public.
AJSC in a press release said at this particular moment where journalists are targeted intentionally and threats against journalists and media are on the rise, protection, and safety of journalists and the media is crucial.
Radio Zohra is a local radio operating in Kunduz province, northern Afghanistan.
Based on a local individual who participated in Friday prayer, when delivering the Khutba (remarks) by Mawlawi Abdul Basir, music was mixed whit the mosque sound system.
After which Mawlawi and other clergies present there, instructed people to attack Radio Zohra.
Mawlawi Abdul Basir and his followers at 1:30 PM yesterday entered the building by force, broke the radio station door and all the radio equipments.
According to Mohsin Ahmadi, editor in chief of the Radio while doing Friday prayer, music was mixed with mosque sound system. Subsequently, Mawlawi Abdul Basir instructed the attack on Radio Without any further confirmation on where the music sound came from.
This happens while, based on Mr. Ahmadi, the Radio was not broadcasting yesterday form 9 AM – 1 PM due to a power outage.
Afghanistan Chamber of Commerce and Investment says Herat exported 9,857 tonnes of green cumin and 94 tonnes of black cumin to various countries this year.
Compared to last year’s 2,540 tonnes of green cumin and 20 tonnes of black cumin, this year’s exports were are up by 80%.
The spice was exported to Kazakhstan, Germany, the US, UAE, Turkey, Sweden, Austria, Bangladesh, Iran, Kuwait, Iraq and Saudi Arabia.
Herat harvested 5,000 tonnes of cumin this year, indicating a 10% increase from last year’s 4,000 tonnes.
At least two Police personnel were killed and one other was wounded in an IED blast in Kabul city this morning, security officials said.
The spokesman of Kabul Police, Ferdaws Faramarz said that a Land Cruiser type vehicle targeted by an IED in Kabul University road of PD3 at around 09:15am on Saturday.
No group has immediately claimed responsibility for the incident.
Police said investigations have started regarding the blast.
At least 12 uprising forces were killed in an insider attack in Ghorian district of Herat province on Friday night, local officials confirmed.
The spokesman of Herat Police, Abdul Ahad Walizada told Reporterly that a Taliban inflitrators opened fire on the uprising forces Police in a checkpoint at around 21:00pm last night.
According to Walizada, the Taliban infiltrators also seized all arms and weapons of the checkpoint.
He added that a delegation has been assigned to probe the incident.
India has voiced ‘deep concern’ over the recent rise in the targeted killings of journalists and civil society activists in Afghanistan and called for the “immediate and comprehensive” ceasefire in the country.
Replying to a query during a weekly briefing, Indian Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Anurag Srivastava said that the attacks on journalists and civil society members are aimed at suppressing the freedom of expression and informed discussions on critical issues related to peace and governance, adding that such attacks should “immediately stop”.
“We have seen reports in the past few weeks of attacks on journalists and civil society activists in Afghanistan. The targeted killing of journalists and civil society members aimed at suppressing the freedom of expression and informed discussion on critical issues related to peace and governance is of deep concern. These attacks are contrary to the spirit of the peace process and should immediately stop,” he said.
“People of Afghanistan long for a peaceful future and immediate and comprehensive ceasefire will lay the ground for a meaningful peace process to establish a peaceful, progressive, prosperous Afghanistan. India stands with the people of Afghanistan in their journey towards peace,” he added.
Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa has said that Pakistan will continue supporting the ongoing intra-Afghan dialogue as “peace in Afghanistan means peace in Pakistan”, Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) said in a statement.
According to the statement, Pakistani General made the remarks while visiting corps headquarter Peshawar on Friday.
Pakistani COAS had echoed the same sentiments to a visiting Afghan delegation earlier in the week that it was in Pakistan’s national interest to have peace in the neighbouring country.
Afghan National Security Adviser (NSA) Hamdullah Mohib has warned that the Taliban group wants to seize power by forcing the withdrawal of international troops from Afghanistan.
NSA mohib accused the Taliban of wasting the time in intra-Afghan talks in Qatar, saying the developments around the talks show that the Taliban wants to seize power by force.
According to Mohib, the Afghan government will prepare for any consequences against the Taliban if negotiations fail.
NSA’s remarks come as Pentagon has announced its troops number has been dropped to 2,500 in Afghanistan – as per the US-Taliban conditions-based agreement signed in February last year.