Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
The Ministry of Defense (MoD) says that the Taliban launched attacks in 23 provinces of the country during the past 24 hours.
Statistics from MoD show that in the past week, every 24 hours, 20 to 22 provinces have witnessed attacks and anti-security incidents by the Taliban.
Nangarhar, Laghman, Nuristan, Ghazni, Logar, Maidan Wardak, Paktika, Kandahar, Uruzgan, Herat, Farah, Badghis, Faryab, Balkh, Jawzjan, Sar-e Pul, Helmand, Kunduz, Baghlan, Takhar and Badakhshan are the provinces that witnessed the attacks in the last 24 hours.
“Against the will of the Afghan people, the Taliban are carrying out large-scale violence, and the country’s security and defense forces are responding strongly to Taliban attacks to protect themselves and Afghan citizens,” said Fawad Aman, deputy spokesman for the Ministry of Defense.
Meanwhile, the Interior Minister Massoud Andarabi attended a meeting of the Council of Foreign Ministers of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) under the name “Unity Against Terrorism” in Niger. Mr. Andarabi is scheduled to send a message to the members of the meeting that the war in Afghanistan is illegal.
“Our message at this conference is that the war in Afghanistan is illegal from a religious point of view, and that the community of Islamic countries, while declaring war in Afghanistan illegal, should support peace and order in which the achievements of eighteen years have been achieved,” said Hamed Tahzib, deputy spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affaira.
However, the Taliban has denied the allegations by MoD in a statement issued Friday.
Members of the House of Representatives today (Saturday) approved the budget draft for the middle of the fiscal year 1399 in the plenary session of the parliament with a majority of votes.
Mohammad Azim Mohseni, a member of the Finance and Budget Commission of the Lower House said that the budget draft for the middle of the current fiscal year was approved by making changes and amendments to the previous document, which had previously been rejected by the parliament.
Mr Mohseni explained that in the previous mid-year budget draft, 11 billion AFN had been added to the codes. Of that, he said, only about seven billion was allocated to the Presidential Affairs Operations Unit.
The member of the House of Representatives emphasized that in the draft approved by the House of Representatives, the allocations were 5.4 billion Afghanis to the operational unit of the Office of Presidential Affairs, 1 billion to the Ministry of Rural Rehabilitation and Development, and about 1 billion to the Ministries of Public Works and Public Health.
Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission (AIHRC) says the voices of the victims’ families must be heard and the responsible institutions have to hear their messages, to sympathize with them, and to address their demands.
AIHRC in a series of tweets said that 32 days passed since the terrorist attack on Kowsar Danish Educational Center, but the families of the victims have not yet been informed of the progress or achievement of the investigation into this attack.
“We still do not know who killed our children. The security, justice and judicial institutions should identify the perpetrators of the attack and provide justice for the survivors,” AIHRC said quoting the victims families.
According to the commission, investigation of different terrorist attacks and dealing with the victims families should not be treated as double standards.
“The responsible institutions should seriously investigate all the cases related to the terrorist attacks. A number of mourning families have not yet paid the bonuses” AIHRC said.
The Human Rights Commission cited that a cultural center, including a library, a memorial, and a museum of victims works will be established at the area of the blast to hold a memorial service for the survivors while preserving the victims’ memory.
The commission called on national and international aid agencies to assist them in establishing this center.
“Due to the high security threats in western Kabul and its vulnerability, it is necessary to take special security measures to ensure the security of its training centers. We call on the International Criminal Court to investigate the killing of civilians, in particular the attack on Kowsar Danish Educational Center,” AIHRC added.
The Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) on Saturday reported 121 new positive cases of coronavirus out of 873 samples tested in the last 24 hours.
The ministry also reported 12 deaths and 349 recoveries from COVID-19 in the last 24 hours.
The cumulative number of total cases is now 45,963 the number of total reported deaths is 1,752 and the total number of recoveries is 36,644.
The new cases were reported in Kabul, Kandahar, Balkh, Nangarhar, Bamyan,Baghlan, Parwan,Logar, Zabul and Uruzgan provinces.
The International community along with the government of Afghanistan expressed deep concern about the threat posed by terror groups including ISIL, Al-Qaeda and others to Afghanistan and the region, said the participants of 2020 Afghanistan Conference.
“We express deep concern about the threat posed by terrorism to Afghanistan and the region, express serious concern over the continuing presence of ISIL, Al-Qaida as well as other international terrorist organizations and their affiliated groups in Afghanistan,” the participants of the 2020 Afghanistan conference said in a communique.
The communique also released by the US department of State added that the international community condemns “in the strongest terms” all terrorist activity and all terrorist attacks and reaffirm the importance of ensuring that the territory of Afghanistan should not be used by ISIL, Al-Qaeda or other international terrorist groups to threaten or attack any other country.
“Neither the Taliban nor any other Afghan entity, group or individual should support terrorists operating on the territory of any country,” the participants said.
The participants further said that they welcome the start of the Afghanistan Peace Negotiations on September 12, 2020, aiming for an inclusive political settlement and a permanent and comprehensive peace.
“We further welcome the efforts of all regional and international partners of Afghanistan in this regard and recognize the efforts of the Government of Afghanistan and of all other Afghan actors, including the two negotiating teams in facilitating the Afghanistan Peace Negotiations,” it added.
The communique further stated that the participants of the conference called for continued cooperation between the Afghan Government, international partners, and neighboring countries to stern irregular migration.
“We further call for continued cooperation between the Afghan Government, international partners, and neighboring countries to stem irregular migration through enhanced collaborative efforts to fight migrants smuggling and human trafficking networks,” it said.
Apart from the terrorism, the international participants also expressed concerns over the cultivation, production, trade and trafficking of illicit drugs in Afghanistan which continue to pose a threat to peace and stability in the region and beyond.
“(We) call upon the Afghan Government and the international community to strengthen efforts to counter this threat through international, regional and sub-regional cooperation,” the participants added.
At least seven people were wounded when two explosions happened in Kabul city on Saturday morning, Kabul Police confirmed.
Ferdaws Faramarz, Kabul Police spokesman told Reporterly that at least three people were wounded in the first blast which was a result of an attached IED targeting a Ford type vehicle at around 07:40am in Omid Sabz township.
According to Police, at least four more people were wounded in the second blast which was occurred in Khair Khana area of Kabul as a result of an IED which targeted a Land Cruiser type vehicle at around 08:00am.
No group has claimed responsibility for the blasts so far.