Newsfeed; Sunday, August 18

Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…


  • 18 Aug 2019 Share this post

    AGO: Transfer of Kabul Bank Ex-CEO From Prison Carried Out Under Serious Measures

    The Attorney General Office says that serious security measures were taken in the transfer of the former CEO of Kabul Bank, Khalilullah Firozi and the National Directorate of Security (NDS) is obliged to keep having eye on him in his house and assures AGO about his presence.

    The AGO spokesperson, Jamshid Rasouli in a joint press conference today said, “Earlier, Firozi has submitted a letter to the Presidential Palace and called his condition critical. After that a delegation was tasked to evaluate his financial commitments and his health condition.”

    Rasouli declared that the Afghan government is committed to human rights standards. According to doctors, it was decided to transfer him from prison to home.

    He emphasized that the transfer is temporary and carried out under two conditions; Staying in the house until he recovers his health, and fulfilling the obligations he has made with the Kabul Bank Settlement Commission.

    In the meantime, Hashmatullah Nawabi, head of NDS health services said that Firozi’s illness is high blood sugar and high blood pressure which is a chronic and dangerous disease that he suffers from.

    Nawabi noted that these diseases require serious care and sustained treatment and If the treatment is not adjusted, the possibility of health problems in these patients goes away and, considering Firozi’s health condition, it was decided that his treatment should be maintained in a sustained manner.

    Rohullah Habib, the Kabul Bank’s liquidation director also said in the press conference, “In addition to the imprisonment, the court has ordered $ 196 million and 632 thousand over Firouzie to pay.”

    Habib stated: “Firouzi had already paid more than $ 14 million. He recently have given back more than $ 18 million worth lands and recently signed a commitment with Kabul Bank’s filing office to pay 5% of its debt in six months.”

    Khalilullah Firouzi is one of Kabul Bank’s biggest shareholders and debtors whose transfer from prison to his home has been controversial. Presidential candidate Rahmatullah Nabil claims he has credible evidence that Firozi has given $ 30 million to President Ashraf Ghani’s election campaign in exchange for his release from prison, a claim which was rejected by the government.

  • 18 Aug 2019 Share this post

    Taliban Hang Tribal Elder For Not Paying 300 AFN

    The Taliban insurgents hanged a tribal elder on Sunday in Faryab province for not paying 300 Afghanis.

    The Faryab Police Press Office in a press release said, “The Taliban group today hanged a tribal elder named Ghulam Haidar, who was more than 60-years old and a resident of Pashtonkot district yesterday.” According to the press release, the tribal elder had been hanged after he refused to pay Taliban insurgents 300 AFN.

    Faryab Police noted that after the tribal elder refused to pay the money, Taliban accused him of cooperating with the government and one of their group leaders named Mullah Hafizullah, also known as ‘Zalim Kosh’ brutally assaulted him and hanged him.

    Police further added that the man had no cooperation with the government and security forces.

  • 18 Aug 2019 Share this post

    Open Fire by Gunmen on a Vehicle in Ghazni Kills 7 Civilians

    Provincial officials in Ghazni province said that 7 civilians were killed in Qarabagh district of the province when armed gunmen opened fire on a vehicle.

    The incident took place in Pam-e Langar area around 7 AM on Sunday morning. Unidentified gunmen stopped the vehicle carrying residents of Nikhta area of Qarabagh district, Nasir Ahmad Farqiri, head of Ghazni provincial council told Reporterly.

    Faqiri added that the gunmen opened fire on the passengers, and as a result, 3 people were killed and 4 others were wounded. Meanwhile, Ahmad Sirat Khan, Ghazni police spokesperson confirmed the incident and said that police investigation is underway.

    It is stated that a number of residents of Nikhta village of Qarabagh district gathered in Ghazni city in a protest called on the arrest of the perpetrators of the incident. No group has claimed responsibility for the incident so far.

  • 18 Aug 2019 Share this post

    Enemies’ Despicable Acts Can’t Deter Our People: NSC

    A statement released by the Office of the National Security Council stated that they underscore the targeting of civilians and public gatherings as unjustifiable and in contradiction to all Islamic principles and human rights. They added that the terrorists target the civilians and defenceless ordinary public as they are impotent and incapable of achieving their goals.

    “We strongly condemn this act of cowardice and assure our people that Afghanistan National Defence and Security forces will strongly respond to this attack and bring the perpetrators behind this attack to justice”, they added further.

    The statement issued by NSC added that, “Security forces arrived at the scene minutes after the incident took place & carried the wounded to the hospitals to provide them with immediate treatment. We make every possible effort to reach every single victim & to not leave alone the grieving families”.

    Moreover, the National Security Council grievingly expressed that the enemies must understand such despicable acts cannot deter Afghan people from questing for a peaceful & prosperous future, but creates further hatred against them. The NSC offered deepest condolences & sympathies to the families of deceased & wished quick recovery for the wounded.

  • 18 Aug 2019 Share this post

    Explosion in Balkh: Roadside Mine Claims 11 Civilian Lives

    Afghan Army in northern part of Afghanistan has reported an explosion in a roadside mine in Balkh. The explosion has claimed 11 civilian lives.

    The incident happened in Dawlat Abad district of the province at about 6:30 AM local time. “The incident occurred after a vehicle travelling from Hayatan village to Maza-i-Sharif hit a roadside mine”, Mohammad Hanif Rezaee spokesperson of 209th Shahin Corps told Reporterly.

    Mr. Rezaee added that as a result of the incident all passengers of vehicle including women and children were killed. The mine was placed by Taliban insurgents in the area, he said.

    Taliban has not commented on the incident so far.

  • 18 Aug 2019 Share this post

    Three Taliban Insurgents Killed In Farah

    Three Taliban insurgents were killed and four others were injured during a joint clearance operation carried out by Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) in Bala Buluk district of Farah, as per a statement by Ministry of Interior.

    During the operation, ANDSF detected nine various types of roadside bombs.

    Moreover, five Taliban insurgents along with 400 kilograms of opium had been arrested during Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) joint operation in Saaj village, Pusht Rod district of Farah.

    In another report, five Taliban insurgents were arrested in two separate operations carried out by Afghan National Defense and Security Forces (ANDSF) in Farah City of Farah province.
    Two senior commanders of Taliban insurgents were among those arrested.

  • 18 Aug 2019 Share this post

    President Ghani Condemns Kabul Attack, Calls a Security Meeting

    President Ghani on Sunday condemned tbe PD6 Kabul suicide explosion on a wedding that took place on Saturday night, calling it an inhumane attack.

    He said that his top priority for now is to reach out to the families of victims of this barbaric attack, “On behalf of the nation I send my heartfelt condolences to the families of those who were martyred.”

    The president announced that he has ordered the relevant authorities to urgently assist in managing the wounded.

    In response to this targeted attack he also called an extraordinary security meeting to review and prevent such security lapses.

    “Taliban cannot absolve themselves of blame, for they provide platform for terrorists. Today is the day of mourning, hence State Builder have cancelled today’s gathering at the Loya Jirga tent”, Ghani said in a tweet.

  • 18 Aug 2019 Share this post

    Germany and Italy Condemn Kabul Suicide Attack on Wedding, Call for Peace

    The German Embassy in Kabul tweeted that their nation is shocked and saddened by the recent shameful attack on civilians in Kabul.

    “Deeply shocked by tonight’s terror attack on a wedding celebration in Kabul, targetting civilians who try to live some normalcy in war torn Afghanistan. This is more than terror, this is just insane! Our thoughts are with those affected, their families and friends”, Peter Prügel, the German Ambassador to Afghanistan expressed in a tweet.

    Moreover, German Envoy on Afghanistan Markus Potz expressed deep shock for suicide attack in Dar ul-Aman, adding that, “This is completely sick & inhumane. It has to stop immediately”. He also called on every stakeholders to enforce their efforts towards peace in Afghanistan, which as per him, has to start with an end to violence.

    The Italian Embassy in Afghanistan also tweetsd after the horrific incident saying, “This is heartbreaking. Civilians are #NotATarget!”. The embassy pointed that under no circumstances can such a heinous attack be justified, and that Afghanistan and its people deserve better. “Let us all do our part to help end the bloodshed and bring about peace in this Country”, the Italian Embassy tweeted.

    The suicide bombing that occurred at a wedding in Kabul city on Saturday killed 63 people and wounded 182, the interior ministry said. The attack took place in PD6 of Kabul city.
    Women and children were among those killed and injured.

    Ministry of Interior spokesperson , Nusrat Rahimi, said that explosion happened at around 10:40 pm.

    The Shahr-e-Dubai wedding hall is located in police district 6 (PD6) which covers areas like Darul Aman in the west of Kabul.

    The Taliban denied responsibility for the blast at a west Kabul wedding hall.

  • 18 Aug 2019 Share this post

    Death Toll for Afghan Wedding Explosion Surges to 63

    The suicide bombing that occurred at a wedding in Kabul city on Saturday killed 63 people and wounded 182, the interior ministry said. The attack took place in PD6 of Kabul city.
    Women and children were among those killed and injured.

    Ministry of Interior spokesperson , Nusrat Rahimi, said that explosion happened at around 10:40 pm.

    Sources and eyewitnesses said that the hall was packed with guests when the explosion happened.

    The Shahr-e-Dubai wedding hall is located in police district 6 (PD6) which covers areas like Darul Aman in the west of Kabul.

    The Taliban denied responsibility for the blast at a west Kabul wedding hall.