Newsfeed; Sunday, September 1

Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…


  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Former Mayor Of Faizabad Killed In Explosion In Badakhshan

    An explosion occurred in Badakhshan,reports suggests that the blast took place near a football ground in Faizabad City of Badakhshan province.

    The governor of Badakhshan, Zakaria Soda confirmed the incident and told media outlets that the blast took place at around 06:00pm and the former mayor of Faizabad, Gen Nazir Mohammaf Neyazi along with several others were killed.

    The governor noted that the target of blast was the ex-mayor of Faizabad city. Gen. Nazir Mohammad Neyazi was one of the uprising forces commanders in Badakhshan.

    He survived a suicide attack in Badakhshan in the year 2017. Meanwhile, the MoI added that the blast happened as a result of an embedded mine.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Afghan Security Forces Storm Taliban Health Facility in Ghazni, Kill 12 Insurgents

    At least 12 Taliban insurgents were killed in a health facility in Ghazni province, local officials said.

    The press office of Ghazni in a statement confirmed that special forces stormed a health facility of Taliban group at around 10 pm Saturday night. The Special Forces carried out the operation close to Nawa district market, the statement said.

    Ghazni press office said that 12 Taliban insurgents were killed in the operation. The statement added that Pakistani doctors used to treat the wounded Taliban insurgents in this health facility.

    The Special Forces also destroyed 12 various types of vehicles and 12 motorcycles during the operation, according to the Ghazni press office.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    8 Civilians Killed In Balkh In A Roadside Bomb Blast

    At least 8 civilians were killed in a roadside bomb blast in Balkh province, army in the north confirmed.

    The incident occurred on Sunday morning after a vehicle traveling from Imam Sahib village of Chimtal district to Maza-i-Sharif hit a roadside mine, 209 Shaheen Corps in a statement said.

    The statement added, as a result of the incident 8 civilians including children and women were killed. The roadside mine was placed by Taliban group, the statement confirmed.

    Meanwhile, last week a vehicle carrying civilians hit a roadside bomb in Haytan area of Dawolat Abad district of Balkh and killed 12 civilians including children and women.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    28 Security Forces & Civilians Killed, Wounded in Baghlan

    At least 28 people including security forces and civilians were killed in Taliban’s attack in the center of Baghlan province, security officials said on Sunday.

    The Ministry of Interior (MoI) has said that the Taliban attacked parts of the Pul-e Khumri city last night in which three insurgents were killed, five of them were wounded and two others were arrested during the clashes.

    MoI added that the Zaman Khel and Hussain Khel areas of Baghlan were cleared off insurgents and Taliban was surrounded by security forces in Diwar Karkar area.

    Moreover, according to MoI, at least two security forces and four civilians were killed and two other security forces along with 22 civilians were wounded in the clashes.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Security Forces Repel Taliban Attack In Pul-e-Khumri City

    Security officials said that Taliban attack in Pul-e-Khumri was repelled and 10 insurgents were killed, injured and arrested.

    Afghan national and defense security institutions in a joint statement said that the Taliban attack on the outskirts of Pul-e-Khumri City was warded off and some fighters of the group were enclosed by security forces.

    The joint statement added that,a group of around 30 to 40 Taliban insurgents launched an attack in Zaman Khel and Hussain Khel areas located in the outskirts of Pul-e Khumri.

    The statement confirmed that, Taliban attack was responded by security forces and the areas was cleared off Pakistani Taliban.

    The insurgents launched the attack at around 2AM on Sunday, according to the statement.

    The statement further added that in the clashes at least 3 insurgents were killed, 2 captured and 5 others were injured.

    The security forces did not suffer casualties in the attack, as per the statement.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Blast Toll In Kunduz Rises to 110, Victims Include Security Forces & Civilians

    At least 20 Afghan security force members and 5 civilians were killed in Taliban attack in Kunduz city, 85 others including security forces were wounded in the clashes, Ministry of Interior confirmed.

    Ministry of Interior in a statement said on Sunday that as a result of clearance operations of police special unit, commando and National Directorate of Security forces in Kunduz city, 56 Taliban insurgents were killed.

    The statement added, the operations was carried out in Zakhel, Ali Khel, Kasani, Khakni and Qala Khan areas in vicinity of Kunduz city.

    Earlier, the Taliban group launched massive attacks on Kunduz city at around 1:30 am on Saturday.

    The deadly explosion in Kunduz city killed 10 police officers including Kunduz police spokesperson.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Herat Prosecution Office Investigated 1439 Cases In 2019: AGO

    The Attorney General’s Office issued a statement reporting that the Herat Prosecution Office has investigated 1439 cases during the first and second quarters of the year 2019.

    The cases include drug trafficking, weapons trafficking, robbery, murder & injury, fraud, abuse, corruption, traffic crimes, moral crimes, violence against women and child abuse.

    The report gives a detailed account of these cases and reports the number of cases in each category of reported crime.

    According to the report, the Herat Prosecution Office has completed the investigation of 1373 cases and filed the lawsuit mentioning the reasons that prove the crimes based on evidence.

    Moreover, they have transferred it to the related courts of Herat as well and the courts also issued their decision on the respective cases.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Kunduz Explosion Kills 10 Police Officers & Injures Provincial Police Chief

    Local officials reported the occurrence of an explosion on Saturday evening in Kunduz City. 10 police officers including Kunduz police spokesman and traffic director of the city were killed and the Kunduz police chief was injured.

    Esmatullah Moradi, spokesperson for Kunduz governor confirmed to Reporterly that, “Manzoor Satanikzai the provincial police chief was injured and 10 people were killed in the explosion.”

    Moradi added that, the exact death toll of the suicide attack is unclear at this stage.

    Spokesperson for Kunduz governor said that telecom companies in Kunduz city have newly resumed their services.He said that the situation in the city turned back to normal and it is under control of security forces.

    He further informed that, the city has been cleared of Taliban insurgents and clearance operation is underway on the Kabul-Kunduz highway.

    Amaruddin Wali, a member of Kunduz provincial council also confirmed this news, while speaking to the Reporterly and added that it is unclear whether the provincial police chief is injured or not.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Taliban Attack Pul e Khumri in Baghlan; Clashes Continue

    Local officials reported that Taliban had attacked at some areas in the centre of Baghlan and clashes are ongoing.

    Mohammad Zarif Zarif, a member of Baghlan provincial council told Reporterly that Taliban group attacked at around 1:00 AM on Sunday on Pol Madan and Bandi Du areas in vicinity of Pule—Khumri city.

    Zarif added that, Taliban’s assault was warded off by security forces but insurgents had made their way into civilian houses and the fighting is still going on.

    Telecommunication services are interrupted in the area hence there are no clear details about the casualties of Afghan security forces, civilians and Taliban, Mohammad Zarif Zarif said.

    Additionally, Interior Ministry spokesman Nusrat Rahimi told media that the police special unit is deployed in the area and the Taliban’s threat to attack Pul-e-Khumri city has been eliminated.

    He added that Taliban insurgents gathered in two locations on the outskirts of Pul-e-Khumri to launch this attack.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    US Service Member Killed in Afghanistan Identified

    The Department of Defence has identified the soldier who died on Thursday in combat in Afghanistan.

    US DoD statement in a statement on Saturday revealed the identity of the soldier, he was, Sgt. 1st Class Dustin B. Ard, 31, from Hyde Park, Utah, died from “wounds sustained while engaged in combat operations in Zabul Province, Afghanistan.”

    He was serving in the NATO’s Resolute Support mission in Afghanistan, a military officials said. There mission is to advise and assist Afghan forces in conducting counterterrorism operations against the Islamic State and al-Qaida.

    “Ard was assigned to 2nd Batallion, 1st Special Forces Group (Airborne) at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington,The incident is under investigation.” the statement added.

    Meanwhile, on Thursday, president Donald Trump announced plans to maintain a presence of 8,600 troops in Afghanistan amid a large scale withdrawal from the country. 15 US soldiers have died since the beginning of 2019.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    MoI: Taliban Insurgents Completely Wiped Off From Kunduz City

    Ministry of Interior reported that Kunduz city has been completely cleared off Taliban insurgents.

    Nusrat Rahimi told the media on Saturday night that, “A clearance operation was conducted by the police special unit, National Directorate of Security forces and commando last night in Kunduz city and the city is completely cleared off the insurgents.”

    He assured that the situation in Kunduz city is now back to normal.

    Rahimi did not comment on the casualities of security forces, civilians and Taliban insurgents in the operations.

    Earlier, the Taliban had attacked the northeastern city of Kunduz from three directions at about at midnight on Saturday.

    Thereafter, the acting ministers of Defense and Interior – Assadullah Khalid and Massoud Andarabi and commander of NATO’s Resolute Support Mission had arrived in Kunduz on Saturday afternoon.

  • 1 Sep 2019 Share this post

    “At The Threshold Of An Agreement”: Khalizad Concludes 9th Round Of Doha Talks

    Zalmay Khalilzad, U.S. Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation, announced that the ninth round of the US-Taliban peace talks has come to an end, noting that the sides are “at the threshold of an agreement.”

    He added that, “We are at the threshold of an agreement that will reduce violence and open the door for Afghans to sit together to negotiate an honourable & sustainable peace and a unified, sovereign Afghanistan that does not threaten the United States, its allies, or any other country.”

    He will now be traveling to Kabul later today for consultations.

    The US delegation and Taliban sat down for a new round of talks in Doha on August 22 to negotiate a deal that would include the withdrawal of foreign troops from Afghanistan in exchange for the movement’s counterterrorism assurances.