Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
Chief Executive of the government, Dr. Abdullah, warned president Ghani that campaign related decrees will not be enforced in the country.
Addressing a campaign rally in Deh Sabz district of Kabul on Sunday, Dr. Abdullah said, “Mohammad Ashraf Ghani will be the president of Afghanistan until the election result is announced and then a new president starts his tenure.”
Dr. Abdullah emphasised that president Ghani is misusing state resources for election campaign, and Presidential Information and Coordination Center is an example of that.
The Presidential Information and Coordination Center is built to serve as a platform for coordination of security forces, said Dr. Abdullah adding that, “Mr. Ghani is using the center for holding video conferences with governors and also getting the district governors to gather the people so that he talks with them.”
Chief executive Abdullah claimed that President Ghani threatened and intimidated people for campaign purposes.
Dr. Abdullah further proclaimed that “From now on if the President bans anyone from going out of the country and vice-versa, or conspires against someone who does not obey his orders, it will result in civil resistance, and the responsibility will lie on the president’s shoulder.”
He specified that Ashraf Ghani threatens private sector owners to either pay for his campaign expenditures and in case they don’t he refers them to the Attorney General. “The president has no right to terminate the contracts with the private sector”, said Dr. Abdullah.
“The Afghan people want their government to exist within the legal framework, but when violation of these laws begins for personal gains especially by the head of the state, people will not tolerate it,” he said.
The presidential candidate reasoned that these acts by Ghani are illegal, urging the Election Commission to look into it.
Earlier, Chief Executive, Abdullah Abdullah had rejected an order by President Ashraf Ghani over probing allegations about corruption in foreign ministry.
Afghan Army confirmed that, Taliban shadow governor for northern Samangan province was killed on Sunday morning.
209 Shaheen Corps in a statement said that, Mawlavi Nooruddin Taliban shadow district governor was killed in an airstrike carried out in Toqsan area of Dara-i-Suf Payan district.
The statement added that four other insurgents were also killed in the operation.
The attack comes amid stepped up fighting in Afghanistan after collapse of US peace talks with the Taliban last week.
Afghanistan’s power utility company Da Afghanistan Breshna Sherkat (DABS) in a statement said that, electricity was cut in Baghlan Asqalan area today at around 10:52AM.
Breshna Company said that the Tajikistan imported electricity has been cut in Baghlan and the power supply of 12 provinces including Kabul has been disrupted.
The statement added that the technical team is deployed to re-connect the power cable when the security is good in the area.
Meanwhile, the main power transmission line to Kabul was cut on Saturday due to fighting in Dand-e-Shahabuddin region of Baghlan province.
The Taliban said that the group will restore the former security guarantees to The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in Afghanistan.
Taliban instructed all of the group’s fighters to pave way for ICRC activities and be mindful of security to the committee’s workers and equipment.
The Taliban group in a statement said on Sunday that, based on a number of issues, ICRC in Afghanistan was not allowed to carry out its activities and following discussions between Taliban and officials of ICRC in the capital of Qatar, Doha, the committee can resume their activities in Taliban dominated areas.
The statement added that in addition to the old agreement, new promises regarding humanitarian services were also discussed between the Taliban and the Red Cross committee officials.
Earlier, on 11th April the Taliban announced a “ban” on the International Committee of the Red Cross and the World Health Organization in the areas where the insurgent group holds ground and following Taliban statement the committee stopped its activities across Afghanistan.
It’s been a rocky week in Afghanistan peace talks, and NATO’s operational commander said allies “anticipate increased violence” on the ground as Afghan presidential elections inch closer.
As per VoA report, U.S. Air Force Gen. Tod Wolters, NATO’s Supreme Allied Commander Europe (SACEUR), told a small group of reporters that Afghan elections “probably won’t be perfect,” but the 29-member North Atlantic alliance will “plan and execute to the ends of the Earth” to try to make the September 28 vote as safe as possible.
“There has been a lot of drama associated with Afghanistan, and at this very moment the signal we send to our NATO partners is the U.S. is committed, NATO is committed, and the mission still remains,” Wolters said on the sidelines of the latest NATO Military Committee in Chiefs of Defense Session.
British Air Chief Marshal Sir Stuart Peach, chairman of NATO’s military chiefs, added Saturday that there was “no division” on that commitment.
“We went into Afghanistan together, and any changes we will make together,” Peach said.
Peace talks between the U.S. and the Taliban collapsed late last week. President Donald Trump had planned talks with Afghanistan President Ashraf Ghani and Taliban leaders at the presidential retreat in Camp David, Maryland, but then said that he decided to cancel them.
A withdrawal of NATO forces from Afghanistan could see the country falling back under the strict rule of the Taliban, German Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer said.
As per Reuters report, Kramp-Karrenbauer, who also heads Angela Merkel’s Christian Democrats (CDU) and is seen as the chancellor’s most likely successor, said a pullout of foreign troops would be particularly tough for Afghan women.
“I am worried that if we were to ditch our responsibility (in Afghanistan) we will face horrifying images of women being stoned and hanged and of girls not able to attend school and married off,” Kramp-Karrenbauer told a gathering of CDU women.
U.S. President Donald Trump this month cancelled a planned meeting with Taliban leaders at his Camp David retreat, dealing a blow to talks between his administration and the group aimed at ending the almost 18-year conflict.
The United States had said it would withdraw almost 5,000 troops from Afghanistan and close five military bases under a draft agreement with the Taliban.
Trump cancelled the peace talks with Taliban leaders after the insurgents said they were behind an attack in Kabul that killed an American soldier and 11 other people.
Germany has some 1,300 soldiers in Afghanistan. Their parliament-approved mandate ends in March 2020.
Afghanistan has strongly condemned the drone terrorist attack that targeted two Aramco facilities, in Abqaiq and Hijrat Khurais, stressing that the attack is contrary to international conventions and human rights that ensure the protection of oil facilities and civilian objects.
Afghanistan called on the international community to deter this kind of terrorist operations, to be more resolute and to repel the plans and actions of terrorists.
Yemen’s Houthi group said it attacked two plants at the heart of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry on Saturday, knocking out more than half the Kingdom’s output.
President Trump claimed on Twitter Saturday that the Taliban have “never been hit harder,” one week after he abruptly canceled peace talks with the Islamist organization.
“Killing 12 people, including one great American soldier, was not a good idea,” Trump said. “There are much better ways to set up a negotiation. The Taliban knows they made a big mistake, and they have no idea how to recover!”
The message came hours after the president announced that the son of Usama bin Laden, Hamza, had been killed in a recent counterterrorism operation in the Afghanistan/Pakistan border region. Hamza bin Laden had been a high-ranking member of Al Qaeda, the terror group his father formerly led.
Reports of Hamza’s death had surfaced in July but were not confirmed until the president’s Saturday statement.
The message about the Taliban also came one day after its negotiators landed in Moscow to meet with Russian officials.
Last Saturday, Trump announced that he had canceled meetings with Taliban and Afghan officials at Camp David following a recent attack which killed an American soldier.
The maxim “in together, out together” still appends to NATO operations in Afghanistan, Royal Air Force Air Chief Marshal Stuart Peach has said at the conclusion of the alliance’s Military Committee meeting in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
“NATO allies and partners will continue to train the Afghan security forces,” Peach said. “We will help to make them stronger so they can fight international terrorism and create peace and stability in their country. All chiefs of staff, reaffirmed their support for the Resolute Support Mission.”
Officials said the chiefs also discussed the alliance’s new strategy and its warfighting concept. They agreed to develop the concept further to guide future military requirements.
“On the warfighting concept … and we will do further work on space, innovation and emerging and disruptive technology,” Peach said. “We are preparing for the future. We are preparing by making our forces fit for purpose.”
The chiefs also discussed ways to speed alliance decision-making at the strategic military level.