Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
At least ten members of a family have been killed in a traffic accident in Surobi district of Kabul, local officials said.
The spokesperson of Kabul governor, Nabiullah Peer khel told Reporterly that, “10 members of family were killed and 2 others injured when their rickshaw fell into a ravine in Mahipar area of Surobi district of Kabul in early Sunday morning.”
He added that the individuals killed in accident include five women and 5 men and two children of the family have been injured.
The family was residents of Sorkh Rod district of Nangarhar who had come to Kabul to attend a wedding ceremony, and the accident occurred while they were heading back to the province, spokesperson for Kabul police said.
The traffic police have begun their investigation into the incident, said spokesperson for Kabul police adding that what seems to be the cause of accident is the rickshaw was carrying more than safe number of people.
At least nine IS-K insurgents and two Taliban militants have been killed during a clash between the two groups in Nangarhar province, the Provincial Governor Office said in a statement on Sunday.
The statement said that the clash between IS-K fighters and Taliban insurgents occurred on Saturday night in Zawi region of Khogyani district.
According to the info, the clashes lasted for about five hours and two rebels were also injured.
Meanwhile, the 209 Shaheen Corps added that Afghan Air Force conducted an operation in Achin district of the province, killing 5 IS-K insurgents and destroying a weapons cache.
Afghan security forces have killed two insurgents and arrested another one before they could attack the office of Independent Election Commission (IEC) in Qaysar district of Faryab province, security officials said.
The spokesperson of the Ministry of Interior (MoI), Nasrat Rahimi said on Sunday that a group of three insurgents that two of whom disguised as women and were attempting to attack IEC office were identified in a checkpoint and killed by security forces. The third one was arrested.
Meanwhile, Faryab police said that these insurgents wanted to assassinate the Afghan security forces in the capital of Qaysar district, two of them were killed and another one detained by security forces in Bandar Shakh security belt located in the bazar of the Qaysar district.
According to Faryab Police, one of the security forces was killed and two of them were also injured during the clashes with insurgents.
Faryab police added that security forces seized 3 rifles, a remote control set and some explosives from the insurgents.
At least one person was killed, another wounded in an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) blast in Nangarhar province, Ministry of Interior (MoI) said.
Nasrat Rahimi a spokesperson for MoI confirmed the inicdent and said, “the incident happened after a magnetic bomb attached to a vehicle by Taliban and exploded at around 10:15AM in Makaniza area of PD4 in Jalalabad city.”
Rahimi added that one civilian was killed and another injured in the explosion.
Meanwhile, the Nangarhar has recently witnessed an increase in roadside bomb blasts and also magnetic IEDs, with at least one blast happening per day.
The Independent Election Commission (IEC) has announced that due to the unfamiliarity of institutions with using the system of accreditation letter and ID card, the commission has extended the process of issuing accreditation till 24 September and the process of verifying ID cards till 25 Sept.
IEC in a statement said on Saturday night that it has so far issued about 113 accreditation letters to observers (election-related CSOs and entities) and mass media, and around 105330 ID cards of (individual) have been registered in the system.
The statement added that out of the total number of registered cards, only 37,222 of them have been approved by the Commission and the process is ongoing at the IEC Kabul office as well as provincial IEC offices.
Based on the Presidential election’s calendar (28 Sept), the process of issuing ID cards was supposed to be completed on 21 September, but due to problems in the system and unfamiliarity of the institutions in using it, along with too many demands, the process was not completed, the statement read.
The US defended its attack that allegedly killed at least 32 farm workers and wounded 40 others including many children claiming that the group was actually ISIS fighters pretending to work as harvesters.
“There were IS (fighters) there, but it appears during harvest season the locals cut deals with the IS fighters to act as harvesters,” said a senior U.S. official who is privy to the counter-terrorism operations conducted by American forces in Afghanistan.
“We were not privy to this ‘agreement’ that puts them (IS fighters) amongst other harvesters. We are working through it now with the officials,” he told Reuters.
The farmers had just finished work and were sitting by a fire when the strike happened, according to tribal elder Malik Rahat Gul.
The air strike was aimed at destroying a hideout used by Islamic State militants, but it accidentally targeted farmers near a field, Afghan officials were quoted as saying.
In a statement, Colonel Sonny Leggett, the spokesman for the U.S. campaign in Afghanistan, said the attack was aimed at “Da’esh (IS) terrorists in Nangarhar” province.
However, Leggett said, the blame for the massacre is squarely on IS and the Taliban—not U.S. forces.
“We are fighting in a complex environment against those who intentionally kill and hide behind civilians, as well as use dishonest claims of noncombatant casualties as propaganda weapons,” Leggett said.
Human rights group Amnesty International, in a statement, said that the strike was “unacceptable and suggests a shocking disregard for civilian life.”
Afghan National and Defense Security Forces (ANDSF) have retaken Jaghatu district of Ghazni province from Taliban, the Ministry of Defense (MoD) said.
MoD in a statement on Saturday night said that Jaghatu district has been cleared of Taliban insurgents in the second phase of “Mobin” operation launched by Afghan security forces and backed by air forces.
The statement added that dozens of embedded mines were defused in the operation and heavy causalities were inflicted on the Taliban during the operation.
According to the MoD, after the recapture of Jaghatu district, Malistan, Jaghuri, Ajristan and Nava districts of the province have been connected to the capital of the province.
Meanwhile, the Mobin operation was launched to tribute the third brigade commander of Thunder Corps in Ghazni, Colonel Abdul Mubin Mujtaba who was killed by a Taliban infiltrator, in Qarabagh district of the province.
The operation started in three phases in Ghazni province; the first one was conducted in the southern part of the province, the second phase was conducted yesterday for recapturing the Jaghato district and Dara-e Qeyaq.
The statement added that the third phase of the operation will include the continuation of counter-terrorism operations for providing the security of highway No 1 of Ghazni province.