Newsfeed; Thursday, September 5

Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…


  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Civilians Killed in NDS Operations; Ghani Accepts Intelligence Chief Resignation

    President Ashraf Ghani on Thursday accepted the resignation of the head of the National Directorate of Security (NDS), Mohammad

    following an NDS operation in Nangarhar that killed four members of a family.

    In an extraordinary security meeting, Ghani said, “as a responsible state, we have zero tolerance for civilian casualties. I have regretfully accepted the resignation of NDS chief, Mr. Stanikzai who had had success in other areas of his work.”

     

    President noted that this was not the first of such operations, but civilians had also been killed in other operations by the National Security Forces in Zurmat district of Paktia province.

    Based on the laws of the country, Ghani called on the attorney general to identify the perpetrators of the Jalalabad incident and bring them to justice.

    This comes as the operation was launched at around 12 pm on Wednesday on a house in PD4 of Jalalabad city by NDS’s 02 Unit.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    “Govt. Unsure Of The Future Of US-Taliban Agreement”: Waheed Omer

    Waheed Omer the Director General, Office of Public and Strategic Affairs of Presidential Palace said that they are not yet sure of the consequences of the US-Taliban agreement and what it beholds for the future of Afghanistan.

    Speaking at the commemoration ceremony of Sayed Sarwar Hussaini, former spokesperson for Kunduz police in Kabul, Waheed Omer referred to Election and Peace as two major issues.

    He confirmed that “Regarding peace, the US special representative for Afghanistan reconciliation has shared the draft agreement of US-Taliban deal with the president and other senior leadership of the government.”

    “Concerns about the consequences of the agreement exist not only within the government but amongst the people of Afghanistan, and we, on behalf of the people of Afghanistan, have shared these concerns with representatives of the United States of America,” Waheed Omer added.

    He emphasised that the government policy is clear in this regard and the presidential election will be held on 28 September and based on president’s decree, no government officials can interfere in election.

    “If Afghan people, the government, parliament, judiciary institution, civil society, and media community are not involved, in the process, Afghanistan will not feel the ownership of it. The threats that Afghanistan will face are real dangers and these threats will be based on a hurried deal,” he said.

    He reiterated that “Where there is no sense of ownership, there is no responsibility and that lack of responsibility will not bring a secured and better future.”

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Developing: 15 Killed, Wounded in Logar Car Bombing

    A car bomb blast happened near the gate of security forces’ brigade in Pul-e Alam city of Logar province at around 13:00 PM, local officials confirmed.

    A provincial council member of Logar, Mohammad Qasim Sidiqi told Reporterly, “A Saracha type vehicle loaded with full of explosives went off near the gate of 203 Thunder Corps fourth brigade in Patkhab area in the center of the province.”

    At least four civilians were killed and 11 others were wounded in the incident. The security forces had no casualties.

    According to Logar governor’s office, four vehicles of civilians were also destroyed in the incident.

    Sidiqi added, reports suggest that the target was the convoy of foreign forces, but the exact figure of casualties is not known so far.

    This comes as Taliban claimed responsibility for the incident, saying a large number of Afghan and foreign forces were killed.

    This the second huge blast today in the country which Taliban claims responsibility.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Two RS Service Members Killed in Kabul Car Bombing

    Two U.S. service members were killed in action today in Kabul.

    The NATO-led Resolute Support Mission said Thursday that one service member was from Romania and the second service member was from the United States.

    The NATO did not reveal the identities or ranks of the service members, saying “In accordance with U.S. Department of Defense policy, the name of the service member killed in action is being withheld until 24 hours after notification of next of kin is complete. We will share additional information as appropriate.”

    At least 10 civilians have been killed in a Taliban car bombing at a security post near Resolute Support mission headquarters in Kabul.

    The blast happened near a security checkpoint in a highly protected area close to embassies and government buildings.

    Taliban militants said they had carried out the attack.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Developing: Taliban Claimed Responsibility for Logar Car Bombing

    A car bomb blast happened near the gate of security forces’ brigade in Pul-e Alam city of Logar province at around 13:00 PM, local officials confirmed.

    A provincial council member of Logar, Mohammad Qasim Sidiqi told Reporterly, “A Saracha type vehicle loaded with full of explosives went off near the gate of 203 Thunder Corps fourth brigade in Patkhab area in the center of the province.”

    Sidiqi added, reports suggest that the target was the convoy of foreign forces, but the exact figure of casualties is not known so far.

    This comes as Taliban claimed responsibility for the incident, saying a large number of Afghan and foreign forces were killed.

    This the second huge blast today in the country which Taliban claims responsibility.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Preventing Civilian Casualties Should Be Top Priority Of Security Forces: Abdullah

    The Chief Executive Dr. Abdullah Abdullah, condemned the killing of 4 brothers by National Directorate of Security 02 Unit operation and urged the security forces to be more cautious in dealing with civilians.

    In a statement, Dr. Abdullah said that Afghan people have supported their national and defence security forces in the past 18 years, and incidents such as this, harm their credibility and increase the gap between government and people.

    Chief Executive asked the leadership and commanders of the security forces to take precautionary measures in their operations and to not cause civilians casualties.

    Dr. Abdullah stressed that preventing civilian casualties should be the top priority of Afghan security forces.

    The recent incident in Nangarhar province will be carefully and thoroughly investigated and the results will be shared with the people, Dr. Abdullah said.

    Meanwhile, Afghanistan Independent Human Rights Commission also expressed its concern about the civilian causalities of the incident and said that the commission will investigate it.

    The commission called on the government to take all necessary steps to prevent the occurrence of such incidents causing casualties of civilians.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Breaking: Explosion Occurs in Pul-e Alam City of Logar

    After a car bomb attack in PD9 in Kabul today, local officials reported the occurrence of an explosion in Logar province.

    The explosion happened in front of the army’s fourth brigade gates in Logar province at around 13:15PM, local officials confirmed.

    Didar Lawang, provincial spokesperson confirmed the incident and told Reporterly that the explosion took place near brigade of national army, in PD4 of Pul-e Alam city, the centre of Logar.

    He added that there is no report about the type of explosion and number the casualties yet.

    More details to follow.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Developing:Taliban Claims Responsibility For Car Bomb Explosion in Kabul

    Taliban announced that, today’s car bomb explosion in PD9 in Kabul city was carried out by the group.

    Zabihullah Mujaheed spokesperson for Taliban group said in a tweet that the group had targeted a foreign forces convoy which was entering an NDS facility area.

    He added that 12 foreigners and 8 personnel of national directorate of security were killed.

    But according to Nasrat Rahimi, a spokesperson for Ministry of Interior, the explosion took place at 1st Macroyan area near Abdulhaq square resulting in the death of 10 civilians and injuries of 24 others.

    12 civilian vehicles were also destroyed in the bomb blast, Rahimi confirmed.

    The attack happened three days after a truck bomb attack targeted Green Village compound in the east of Kabul, killing 16 people including five Nepalese, two British and a Romanian national and wounded 119 others.

    Taliban attacks in Kabul and other provinces such as Kunduz and Laghman have intensified as US special envoy for Afghanistan reconciliation has reached a final agreement with Taliban group and intra-Afghan talk are about to be held.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Developing: 52 Civilians Killed & Injured in Kabul Blast

    At least 52 civilians were killed and injured in today’s PD9 car bomb explosion in Kabul, security officials said.

    A large car bomb occurred on the main road near Abdulhaq square, PD9 of Kabul city at around 10:10AM, Nasrat Rahimi, a spokesperson for Ministry of Interior confirmed.

    He added, as a result of the blast 10 civilians were killed and 42 were injured.

    12 civilian vehicles were also destroyed in the bomb blast, Rahimi said.

    Shortly after, Taliban claimed responsibility, saying a foreign forces’ convoy was targeted.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Four Brothers Killed in NDS Operation in Nangarhar

    At least four brothers have been killed during an operation of the National Directorate Security (NDS) 02 Unit in the center of Nangarhar province, local officials said.

    A provincial council member of Nangarhar, Zabit Amir Mohammad told Reporterly that it is still not clear that the four brothers were involved in the anti-government operations or not.

    However, a number of the Jalalabad residents have staged a protest regarding the incident and brought the corpses of the four brothers in front of the governor’s office.

    In the meantime, the Nangarhar Press Office stated that the operation has been conducted by the NDS 02 Unit in Jalalabad city and as a result, four civilians were killed.

    The Nangarhar’s governor office has called on President for investigations regarding the incident and prevents occurring similar incidents in the future.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Developing: Car Bomb Rocked PD9 of Kabul City

    A large car bomb occurred on main road near Abdulhaq square, PD9 of Kabul city at around 10:10AM, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) confirmed.

    The spokesman of MoI, Nasrat Rahimi said the explosion was triggered by explosive-laden Townace van.

    It has been reported that the target was a checkpoint in the heavily guarded Shashdarak area where the Afghan national security authorities have offices.

    But shortly after, Taliban claimed responsibility, saying a foreign forces’ convoy was targeted.

    Today’s blast followed by Taliban’s suicide bombing in eastern Kabul on Monday night which targeted a foreign compound and killed at least 16 people and wounded more than 100, almost all of them local civilians.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Pompeo Sets Condition to Sign Afghan Peace Deal

    US State department spokeswoman, Morgan Ortagus says that if an agreement is approved by all parties including US president Donald Trump, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo will sign it.

    “There is no agreement to sign yet. If and when there is an agreement that is approved by all parties, including President Trump and if the Secretary is the appropriate signatory, he will sign it,” State Department spokesperson Morgan Ortagus emailed TIME Wednesday evening.

    Previously TIME reported that soon after the U.S. is closing in on a deal with the Taliban which is designed to end the 18-year war in Afghanistan, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has allegedly refused to sign it, according to senior U.S., Afghan and European officials.

    TIME reported that the deal also doesn’t guarantee that US counterterrorism forces will be able to stay in Afghanistan to fight al-Qaeda, the original mission of the US’s invasion of Afghanistan or that violence in Afghanistan will stop once a deal is reached.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Breaking: Blast Occurs in Kabul City

    An explosion took place in Shash Darak area PD9 of Kabul city at around 10:10 AM, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) confirmed.

    The spokesman of MoI, Nasrat Rahimi confirmed the explosion but refused to give further details.

    The type of explosion has not been specified so far, casualties are feared.
    More details to follow.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    US Secretary of State Pompeo Refuses to Sign Risky Afghan Peace Deal

    Soon after the U.S. is closing in on a deal with the Taliban which is designed to end the 18-year war in Afghanistan, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has allegedly refused to sign it, according to senior U.S., Afghan and European officials.

    TIME reported that the deal also doesn’t guarantee that US counterterrorism forces will be able to stay in Afghanistan to fight al-Qaeda, the original mission of the US’s invasion of Afghanistan or that violence in Afghanistan will stop once a deal is reached.

    The deal doesn’t ensure several crucial things.That may explain why Pompeo is declining to put his name on the deal.

    As per TIME, the Taliban asked for Pompeo to sign an agreement with the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, the official name of the government founded by the Taliban in Afghanistan in 1996, four U.S., Afghan and European officials familiar with the discussions.

    More Importantly, having the Secretary of State sign such a document would amount to de facto recognition of the Taliban as a legitimate political entity, and he declined to do so, the Afghan officials say. Pompeo’s office declined to comment.

    There seem to be two alternatives. Khalilzad himself may sign it. Or the U.S. and the Taliban may simply issue a joint statement, supported in turn by the U.S.-backed government in Kabul and a number of other countries, including Japan, Russia and China.

    For their part, the Taliban have assured their fighters that the U.S. will withdraw all foreign troops within a little more than a year. In their communications with their rank and file, Taliban officials also go light on mentioning any “conditions” that would give the Americans the right to freeze or reverse the troop withdrawal.

  • 5 Sep 2019 Share this post

    Inclusive Intra-Afghan Talks Only Solution to Conflict, UN Secretary-General

    The UN Secretary-General António Guterres has strongly condemned the recent Kabul bombing by the Taliban, saying such indiscriminate attacks can never be justified.

    The Secretary‑General expressed his deepest sympathy to the families of the victims and wishes a speedy recovery to those injured.

    The Kabul bombing came days after the Taliban attacks in Kunduz and Baghlan Provinces that caused scores of civilian casualties.

    António Guterres also remained concerned about civilian casualties caused by pro-Government aerial and search operations, including on 31 August in Faryab Province.

    The Secretary-General is said to believe that the only solution to the conflict in Afghanistan is through an inclusive process of intra-Afghan negotiations.

    He encouraged all political leaders to work together during this period leading to presidential elections and stressed the urgency of ensuring security across Afghanistan.

    The Secretary-General expressed the solidarity of the United Nations with the people and the Government of Afghanistan.