Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
Omar Daudzai, President Ghani’s special envoy for regional affairs on consensus around peace and head of HPC secretariat, has arrived in Islamabad, according to media sources.
He will hold talks with Pakistani officials on Afghan peace issues.
As a result of the explosion of an IED placed in a motorbike in Khost province, At least two people were killed and 25 others were wounded.
Bilal, the administrative director of the public Hospital in the province, said that the explosion occurred near the Spin Jomat, and so far two dead bodies and 25 injured have been transferred to the hospital.
Meanwhile, the Khost police confirmed the incident but provide further details about casualties.
No person or group has claimed responsibility so far.
The Attorney General’s office said on Tuesday that Tamim Shansab’s case, owner of a former private security company with 19 others accused of cooperating with him, has been delivered to the Court.
Shansab, who had entered an armed clash with Afghan National Police in Kabul a few weeks ago, has been charged with killing 2 people, disrupting the public order, usurping property, the Attorney General’s office adds.
Ministry of defense in a statement on Tuesday informed that at least 49 insurgents were Killed in several operations over the past 24 hours across Afghanistan.
34 insurgents killed, 13 wounded, 3 vehicles, 5 motorbikes and some weapon and ammunition were destroyed in Afghan Air Forces airstrikes and ANA response attacks in Khas e Uruzgan, Deh Rahwod and Char chino Districts of Uruzgan Province, according to the statement.
The statement also says that six insurgents killed and 4 wounded in ANA response attacks in Shah Valikut district of Kandahar Province and three insurgents killed and 2 wounded in ANA response attacks in Giro district of Ghazni Province.
Also, three insurgents killed and 4 wounded in ANA response attacks in Qadis district of Badghis Province, while two insurgents killed in Afghan Air Force airstrikes in Manogai district of Kunar Province, the statement added.
Afghan Taliban representatives and US officials will sit down for two days of peace talks on Wednesday in Qatar but Afghan government officials will not be involved, senior Taliban members said, quoted in a report by Reuters.
“After mutual consultations, we are going to meet US officials in Doha on Wednesday. The meeting will continue for two days – Wednesday and Thursday,” said a senior member of the Afghan Taliban on condition of anonymity.
Ealier this week, Taliban officials informed that the group has cancelled the talks in Riyadh.
“We were supposed to meet U.S. officials in Riyadh next week and continue our peace process that remained incomplete in Abu Dhabi last month,” a senior Taliban member told Reuters on Sunday.
“The problem is that leaders of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) wanted us to definitely meet the Afghan government delegation, which we cannot afford to do now, and we have canceled the meeting in Saudi Arabia,” he said.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid also confirmed the group has decided to cancel the meeting in Saudi Arabia.
The US President Donald Trump and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi discussed reducing the US trade deficit with India and increasing their cooperation in Afghanistan in a telephone call on Monday, the White House said.
“The leaders agreed to strengthen the US-India strategic partnership in 2019 and exchanged perspectives on how to reduce the US trade deficit with India, expand security and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific, and increase cooperation in Afghanistan,” the statement said.
This comes after last week Trump at a cabinet meeting emphasized on regional countries’ role in Afghanistan including India.
The Acting Defense Minister Assadullah Khalid and the Resolute Support Mission Forces Commander Gen. Scott Miller visited the northern Faryab province on Monday.
The special operations corps said Monday in a statement that the acting minister of defense , Asadullah Khalid, while accompanied by Abdulmatin Beig, the head of the Independent Directorate of Local Governance, and General Scott Miller, RS forces commander, traveled to Faryab Province to assess the security situation in the province.
In this visit, Khalid met with officials and Afghan Army in the province, who are engaged in ongoing military operations in the province, according to the statement.
“Our fight is for ensuing peace, our pressure is for bringing peace to Afghanistan,” Khalid said. “Our pressure will continue until the enemy continues obstinacy.”
The Afghan Army is in a better condition in terms of equipment, training and the skills of their operations against militants, according to Mr. Khalid.
“When I see the army and forces after years, now they are in better condition and they are ready to change from defensive to offensive,” said Khalid.
The interior ministry has informed in a statement on Tuesday the arrest of two suicide bombers from Kabul province.
In a joint operation, Afghan National Police and NDS forces managed to arrest two suicide bombers from Bagh-e-Rayis area of Surobi district of Kabul province, the MoI said in a statement.
According to Interior Ministry, these suicide bombers were arrested while they had planned to carry out a terrorist attack in Kabul province.