Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
Afghan National Security Advisor Hamdullah Mohib met with Australian delegation led by Dr. Lachlan Strahan, the Assistant Secretary South West Asia, Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade in Kabul today.
Both sides discussed the Afghan peace process, possible cease fire, upcoming election and regional cooperation.
The delegation also reaffirmed Australia’s support for an intra-Afghan peace process, elections, possible cease fire and assisting ANDSF, as they called them “heroic”.
NSA Mohib thanked the delegation for Australia’s assistance and recognized their sacrifices in Afghanistan.
U.S. commander in Afghanistan General Austin Scott Miller who heads NATO Resolute Support Mission on his visit to Faryab said that the operations against the militant groups will continue.
Gen. Miller made the remarks during a security meeting which was organized in northern Faryab province earlier on Tuesday.
A number of top Afghan security and defense officials including intelligence chief Masoom Stanikzai, acting interior minister Massoud Andarabi, Gen. Waziri and governor of Faryab province had also participated in the meeting.
“Operations will continue but I believe in peace. We absolutely care about the Afghan people. You have my commitment that we will strive to be precise in every engagement,” Gen. Miller said.
Moreover, Gen. Waziri said “Wherever we have good leaders, we have good results. We need to have the right people, in the right positions, in the right place. We need to pressure the enemy days and nights. We will not wait for them, we will go out to them.”
The acting minister of interior Massoud Andarabi said “We want peace, the government wants peace, the people want peace. It is the Taliban who continue to fight. The whole world wants peace.”
Counter Narcotics Justice Center of Afghanistan (CNJC) says that in the past week, security and intelligence forces arrested 34 including four women in connection to 28 drug trafficking cases.
“The cases of these individuals were transferred to the justice center for prosecution,” the CNJC said.
Counter Narcotics Justice Center said in a statement on Tuesday that, of total 34 detainees, 16 of them wanted to transfer drugs from Hamid Karzai International Airport to India, Saudi Arabia.
The statement added that, in past week, 31 individuals in connection to 19 cases of drug and alcohol trafficking were also sentenced to various jail periods by CNJC primary and appeal courts.
The US Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad visited India as anticipated on Monday. This is in the middle of United States-Taliban talks which have taken a one-day break on the occasion of Ramadan.
Khalilzad had a meeting with India’s External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and briefed her on peace efforts in Afghanistan, the Indian Foreign Affairs Ministry’s spokesman Raveesh Kumar said in a tweet on Monday.
“Both discussed role of all regional stakeholders in bringing peace and development in Afghanistan,” Kumar said.
“India will work with key partners in days ahead”, the statement added.
The commander of 209th Shahin Corps in the north of the country says that the reason of disruption of the provinces related to this Corps is due to the failure of the parties to divide the government’s privileges and lack of compromise between the prominent figures of the north in selecting individuals for important government positions.
In response to remarks of First VP, General Abdul Rashid Dostum, Shahin Corps press office said in a statement that the presence of powerful and irresponsible armed forces in government administrations who exert pressure, exclude and marginalize ethnic minorities are the factors of instability in northern part of the country.
The statement asked the vice president that “as second person of the country, what achievement have you had for the people of country specially for the north part.”
Meanwhile, during a meeting with a number of people in Jawzjan province, first vice president had said that due to the incapacity of the Shahin Corps Command, officers and young soldiers of security forces are being killed, and the Shahin’s command doesn’t even give the value of a bird to these forces.
“I will share Jawzjan’s problems with the president, and if Mr. Ghani does not address these problems, I will decide accordingly,” General Dostum emphasized.
It was announced in a statement by the presidential information coordination centre that a total of 64 Taliban insurgents were killed across Afghanistan in the past 24 hours.
In an airstrike by Afghan Air Force in Maiwand district of Kandahar province, 11 Taliban insurgents were killed and 2 enemy HQs as well as 2 enemy vehicles destroyed.
In an ANDSF operation in Khoshamand district of Paktika province, three Taliban insurgents were killed and three others were detained.
Moreover, the NDS performed a raid operation in Sangin district of Helmand province, which resulted in the killing of three Taliban insurgents & wounding of one other.
Furthermore, as a result of the Afghan Air Force airstrike in Khas_Uruzgan district of Uruzgan province, five Taliban insurgents were killed & three others were wounded.
Additionally, in a clash between the ANDSF & Taliban insurgents in Arghandab district of Zabul province, 8 Taliban insurgents were killed & 11 others were wounded.
“Fortunately there were no casualties to the brave ANDSF soldiers”, the statement clarified.
Finally, the ANDSF conducted two separate operations in Jaghori & Andar districts of Ghazni province, which resulted in the killing of 34 Taliban insurgents, wounding 12 militants & detaining 10 others.
Patrick Shanahan, the US Acting Secretary of Defense has clarified that the announced deployment of USAirForce bomber task force to the CENTCOM area of responsibility was approved by him on Monday.
He said that the decision “represents a prudent repositioning of assets in response to indications of a credible threat by Iranian regime forces”.
Shanahan called on the Iranian regime to cease all provocation. “We will hold the Iranian regime accountable for any attack on US forces or our interests”, he said.