Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
Supreme Court of Afghanistan has addressed 7200 cases of violence against women over the past four years, Amanullah Iman, spokesperson of the top court said while speaking in a conference in the government media center on Wednesday on the eve of International Woman’s Day.
Iman added that out of the total number of cases of violence against women which have been addressed there are 920 cases of rape, 720 beatings, 320 murder, 145 women abuse, 113 cases of suicide, 87 assaults and 41 cases of Women’s injuries.
He further explained that 4900 other cases were forced prostitution, death threats, abortion, abduction, under age marriage, women’s sale, and the prohibition of the right to marry that their perpetrators, in accordance with the laws of the country have been sentenced by the courts.
It was noted that most cases were recorded in Herat followed by Balkh, Kunduz and Kandahar provinces. He emphasized that a special courts for addressing the cases of violence against women have been established in 22 provinces of the country over the past two years.
Uzbekistan’s national security adviser Viktor Mohammadov during a meeting with his Afghan counterpart said that peace-keeping in Afghanistan is only possible with the leadership and ownership of the Afghans.
While meeting with ANSA Hamdullah Mohib in Tashkent on Monday he announced the support of his country for Afghanistan peace process and remarked that peace-keeping in Afghanistan is possible with leadership of Afghans.
Afghan National Security Council reported that, in this meeting the two sides discussed issues such as the joint fight against terrorism, the fight against drug trafficking, border cooperation, health cooperation within the framework of security institutions, economic development cooperation, Infrastructure, transit, educational and cultural issues.
In this meeting both sides agreed on next Afghan-Tajik joint security commission meeting which is scheduled to be organized in Kabul in order to review the details of strategic and future planning.
Local officials reported that 10 insurgents including a Taliban commander were killed in Ghazni province.
Ghazni press office said that the commander named Kakar and Mullah Sharif, the deputy commander of this group, were killed last night during a joint operation of commandos and air forces of coalition forces in Bashi and Mehman villages of Andar district and in Bala village of Deh Yad district.
Five Taliban insurgents including suspected individuals were arrested in this operation, the office added.
The press office of Nangarhar informed that Tuesday’s attack by militants happened in MKU Civil Engineering company in the Behsood district of the province.
5 militants were killed in the clash but the press office also reported that so far 16 employees of the company were killed and 9 others were injured. The injured were transferred to the hospital.
Security forces discvored and disfused two suicide vest and vehicle. Clearing operations are still going on. The attack began at 5am on Tuesday and ended by 10:30.
More details to follow.
Local officials reported that 11 Taliban militants including a shadow district governor of the group were killed in Nangarhar province.
The Nangarhar provincial press office said that as a result of the operation of National Directorate of Security forces in the Gandamak area of Shirzad district, Subhanullah known as Shahin Adel, the Taliban shadow district governor for Cheerhar district of the province and some of the commanders of the group including 11 Taliban fighters, were killed.
According to the press office of the province, three suspected individuals were also arrested during the operation.
Nangarhar clash has claimed the lives of four civilians and injured five others. In the clash five militants were killed, informed Ataullah Khgyani, Nangarhar’s governor spokesperson.
Local officials have reported that a blast and a terrorist attack happened in Nangarhar province. The attack happened at a company near Nangarhar airport in which an explosion also took place.
More details to follow.
U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee members Rand Paul (R-KY) and Tom Udall (D-NM) introduced the 2019 American Forces Going Home After Noble (AFGHAN) Service Act to end America’s longest war.
“Endless war weakens our national security, robs this and future generations through skyrocketing debt, and creates more enemies to threaten us. For over 17 years, our soldiers have gone above and beyond what has been asked of them in Afghanistan. It is time to declare the victory we achieved long ago, bring them home, and put America’s needs first,” said Sen. Paul, as he announced the same on Twitter.
“Soon, U.S. service members will begin deploying to Afghanistan to fight in a war that began before they were born. As we face this watershed moment, it’s past time to change our approach to the longest war in our country’s history,” said Sen. Udall.
This comes after US President Trump announced in 2018 that there will be troop pullout from Syria and Afghanistan and the issue had been under consideration by the US government.
Local officials have reported that a blast and a terrorist attack happened in Nangarhar province. Ataullah Khgyani, Nangarhar’s governor spokesperson told Reporterly that this morning, an attack happened at a company near Nangarhar airport.
He also added that an explosion also took place and added that there is no further detail about the attack.