Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
The Ease of Doing Business Report which is released by the World Bank has ranked Afghanistan at 167th position for 2019 which is a 16 position climb from 2018’s 183rd rank.
Afghanistan has thus been selected as one of top reformers in this report.
Ease of Doing Business Report is an annual ranking mechanism by World Bank in terms of grading countries as per their friendliness towards enterprise and business activities. It has 10 indicators: starting a business, dealing with construction permits, getting electricity, registering property, getting credit, protection of minority investor, paying taxes, trade across borders, enforcing contracts , and resolving insolvency.
Afghanistan’s score was 47.77/100 which is a 10 point jump from last time’s and the country did well in 5 whole indicators-starting a business, getting credit, protecting minority investor, paying taxes and resolving insolvency.
Top 10 improvers in #DoingBiz: Economies improving the most across 3/more areas in 2017/18
— World Bank (@WorldBank) November 21, 2018
According to the Meteorological Department, there is warning of “Rain and Snow , Possibility of Flood from 21 up to 22 Nov”.
“According to the map the Possibility of Rain& Snow is forecasted for the aforementioned areas the amount of Rain is between 20-35mm.”
The forecasted weather is shown for several provinces.
The UN top humanitarian official in Afghanistan, Toby Lanzer, visited an emergency hospital in Kabul today to “donate blood for the victims of yesterday’s suicide attack and to express gratitude to the medical professionals providing them with life-saving assistance,” as was informed by the UNAMA on twitter.
Several officials and leaders have come out to condemn the Kabul blast. Mr Lanzer’s effort was welcomed as well.
The Kabul blast of Tuesday night has so far claimed more than 50 lives and injured more than 90 people.
Officials have reported on continued NATO’s RS mission air and ground support to security forces in Ghazni province.
Ghazni Police HQ press office said in a statement today that the commander of Resolute Support Mission and local and military officials in Ghazni province discussed the security problems and situation of the province.
In the meeting, General Scott Miller RS Commander in Afghanistan promised local authorities to continue air and ground support to ANSDF in carrying out Counter-insurgency operations in Ghazni province.
Resolute Support commander in Afghanistan General Scott Miller arrived in Ghazni city on Wednesday morning.
Local authorities in Logar province have reported the blockade of the Kabul-Logar highway in protest against civilian casualties caused in a military operation.
Logar Governor Spokesperson, Didar Lawang, told Reporterly that people have closed the highway due to civilian casualties in an operation carried out by Special Forces last night in the vicinity of Mohammad Agha district.
He emphasized that the operation was planned in Kabul and that local forces were not involved. He added that based on claims of some local residents civilians were killed in the operation.
Security officials have reported that 59 terrorists have been killed across 12 provinces of Afghanistan.
As a result of the invasive, airborne and cleanup operations of the security forces over the past 24 hours in the provinces of Nangarhar, Logar, Paktika, Ghazni, Maidan Wardak, Kandahar, Farah, Faryab, Kunduz, Balkh, Nimroz and Helmand, 59 insurgents were killed and 24 others wounded, according to MoD statement.
The statement added that during these operations, 4 insurgents were arrested, several hideouts and a significant amount of ammunition and explosives belonging to the insurgents were also destroyed.
Second Deputy Chief Executive of the Afghan Government, Mohammad Mohaqiq called the suicide bombing on a ceremony of Prophet Muhammad’s birthday in Kabul as the fall of human morality among insurgents and the culmination of their hostility with Islam and Islamic sects.
A statement of the Deputy Chief Executive Office stated that: “The government and our great nation and scholars must understand this danger and deal with it seriously.”
Last night attack on the ceremony of Prophet Mohammad’s birthday killed over 50 and woun
In a statement issued by the Presidential Palace, at a meeting held today, Gen. Mohammad Sharif Yaftali the Army chief of staffs presented his report on the security situation in Ghazni province, especially in the districts of Jaghori and Malistan, stating that the situation is under control and the necessary measures have been taken to equip and support the security and defense forces.
The meeting of the Commander-in-chief of the Armed Forces the security situation in the Qarqin distirct of Jawzjan and Balkhab district of Faryab were also discussed.
The meeting takes place after three weeks of intense attacks by the Taliban insurgents on outposts of Jaghori district which claimed many lives and displaced over five thousand families.
Resolute Support commander in Afghanistan General Scott Miller arrived in Ghazni city on Wednesday morning, as informed by the media office of Ghazni governor in a statement.
Gen Miller makes his visit as violence and instability become a huge problem being faced by the province.
The Malistan and Jaghori Districts of the province had been under constant attack for the past fortnight.
The Shiite Ulema Council issued a statement calling the suicide attack on religious scholars at the ceremony of the Prophet Muhammad’s Birthday in the Uranus hall in Kabul, as a massive tragedy.
The statement of the Shiite Ulema Council of Afghanistan reads: “We were sadly informed that the heartless criminal carried out a suicide attack at the ceremony celebrating the Great Prophet of Islam in Uranus Hall leaving more than 40 martyrs and injured more than 60 people, which is likely to increase.”
“There is no doubt that this brutal act is by those who consider the honoring of the dead, albeit the Prophet Muhammad, as “Shirk”. Perhaps the greatest numbers of martyrs of this terrible incident are from the scholars of religion and the preachers of Sharia,” the statement added.
After a deadly blast in Kabul killed 50 and injured more than 60 people, the Presidential palace released a statement declaring November 21 as national mourning day.
Many have come out to condemn the blast. President Ghani, US Embassy in Kabul and UNAMA released statements to condemn the blast.
“This is an attack on Islamic values, and followers of Prophet Mohammad. It is an attack on humanity,” said President Ghani while condemning the blast.
On national mourning day, the Afghan flag will be flown at half-mast all over Afghanistan and all Afghan diplomatic consulates abroad.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres has condemned the Kabul suicide blast that took place on Tuesday in PD15 area of the city.
In a statement released by the UN, “The Secretary-General strongly condemns today’s attack targeting Afghans gathered in Kabul to celebrate a day of special religious significance.”
The statement also added that “deliberate targeting of civilians is a clear violation of international humanitarian law. Every effort should be made to bring perpetrators to justice.”
The attack of Tuesday took place in the Oronus hall where ceremony for the birth day of Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) was going on. The suicide attack killed 43 people and wounded 83 others.
The UNSG statement concluded “The Secretary-General extends his deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims and the Government of Afghanistan. He wishes a speedy recovery to those injured.”