NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg hold talks with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Tuesday in Brussels, saying they had a great discussion on current security issues in Afghanistan.
“NATO fully supports efforts to achieve peace in Afghanistan,” NATO Secretary General said.
Stoltenberg condemned the recent horrific attacks in Afghanistan and stated that NATO remains committed to supporting Afghan forces.
The talks between Stoltenberg and Pompeo comes a day after the US envoy leading efforts to strike a deal with the Taliban to end 18 years of war showed the draft peace agreement to the Kabul government.
Under the deal, the US will withdraw troops from five bases in Afghanistan within about four months of it being approved, provided the Taliban stick to their commitments, though President Donald Trump last week said America would maintain a permanent presence with 8,600 troops initially in any event.
In the meantime, NickKay, NATO Senior Civilian Representative to Afghanistan, condemned the recent violence, including last night’s attack on Green Village camp in Kabul which left 16 killed and 119 wounded.
NickKay assured that NATO remains committed to supporting Afghan security forces so Afghans can achieve lasting peace.
NATO ended its combat mission in Afghanistan in 2014 but maintains some 16,000 troops on a mission to train, advice and assist local forces.