Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
Afghanistan beats West Indies by 29 runs in the 3rd T20I at Bharat Ratna Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ekana Cricket Stadium in Lucknow on Sunday to clinch the series 2-1.
This is Afghanistan’s first series win over West Indies, the reigning T20I world champions.
Karim Jannat inspired Afghanistan to level the series on Saturday, and it was another unheralded youngster – Rahmanullah Gurbaz – who scored a blistering 79 to power a win in the 3rd T20I.
The assault from the teenaged opener continued unabated, supported by a run-a-ball 14 from Najibullah Zadran, until Kieron Pollard (1-21) finally had him caught for a 52-ball 79.
A pair of early wickets, one each for Mujeeb Ur Rahman (1-9 from three overs) and Naveen-ul-Haq (3-23), left the West Indies’ chase floundering at 16-2.
The Presidential contender, Rahmatullah Nabil says no one should try to involve Afghan forces in the political issues for their personal interests.
The leader of “Security and Justice” electoral team in a press conference on Monday said that Afghan people love their security forces and whenever they use for personal interest, the government will collapse.
“We will not allow the mistake of Dr. Najib’s government to be repeated again,” Nabil said.
The former intelligence chief stated that the Independent Election Commission (IEC) has not addressed his team’s demands.
“None of our demands were addressed by the election commission,” Nabil said, adding that this is because something is happening behind the scenes.
He declared that the election commission should consider the people’s fate and save Afghanistan from the electoral crisis, because the country has many other problems to face.
“We are monitoring the IEC’s officials and we know what is behind the curtains,” Nabil said.
He stressed that the foreign institutions must not ignore the people’s demands.
Nabil noted that his message to the international community is that the forces that you create for defending democracy should not be used for suppressing democracy.
Nabil’s remarks come as the former President Hamid Karzai also warned that the misuse of security forces in political issues is not acceptable.
Afghan local officials say at least one died and 40 others were wounded after a passenger bus ran off the road and fell into river in northern Baghlan province.
The spokesman of Baghlan Police, Jawid Besharat told Reporterly that the incident took place in Girdab area of Baghlan-e-Markazi district.
Besharat noted that police transferred the injured to the hospital.
He blamed negligence of the driver for the crash.
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) in information graphic has revealed that the displacement due to ongoing conflict and natural disasters is continuing in 2019 to drive humanitarian needs in Afghanistan.
According to OCHA, more than 375,800 people have left their homes this year due to fighting. Many of these people remain displaced across the country, as conflict and poverty prevent them from returning to their areas of origin.
“Around 83,800 of the 245,000 people displaced in the country’s west in 2018 by drought and other factors are still living in displacement sites, yet to return home,” the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said.
It further added that close to 401,400 people have returned from neighbouring countries to Afghanistan so far this year including 387,500 from Iran, and 22,900 from Pakistan.
OCHA emphasized that deportations from Turkey are also on the rise to 22,723 people so far in 2019, while a small number also returned from Europe.
It stated that the 2019 Humanitarian Needs Overview estimates that close to a million people on the move will need humanitarian assistance by the end of the year.
The UK Ministry of Defense has denied accusations that their authorities covered up killing and torture by UK troops in Afghanistan and Iraq.
The Sunday Times newspaper revealed how leaked documents included claims that children had been targeted in some instances, and that the government and army acted to protect those involved.
The new revelations follow an investigation by the Sunday Times and the BBC, which will air a Panorama documentary on the matter at 9 pm on BBC One tonight.
Rachel Logan of Amnesty International UK called the claims “deeply troubling”, adding: “If true, those responsible for sanctioning and carrying out torture and other war crimes, at all levels, must be held accountable and where appropriate, prosecuted.”
The Defense Ministry of UK also added: “Allegations that the UK MoD interfered with investigations or prosecution decisions relating to the conduct of UK forces in Iraq and Afghanistan are untrue.”
The New Zealand Prime Minister says she’s set a very clear expectation that the Defense Force speeds up the clearing of firing ranges in Afghanistan, but says it’s not possible to conclude New Zealand is responsible for civilian deaths.
A Stuff Circuit investigation has revealed 17 civilians were either killed or injured in connection to unexploded ordnance left on New Zealand’s firing ranges, including seven children, aged between 5 and 12, who died in an explosion near the Beersheba Range.
The NZ Defense Force says the New Zealand Provincial Reconstruction Team withdrew from Afghanistan in 2013, after clearing the range near Beersheba in accordance with the standards of the time.
Jacinda Ardern said she has spoken to Defense Force representatives and set her expectation again that they “expedite the clearing of these firing ranges” to new standards.
“As soon as the snow and the weather permits, which I’m told will be roughly in April of next year, that the work to clear those firing ranges should begin in earnest.”
Ms. Ardern said this is an ongoing situation that predates this government and something she was made aware of in the middle of last year.
However, in response to questions about whether New Zealand should offer compensation to the victims’ families, Ms. Adrian said it wasn’t possible to conclude the munitions that were directly responsible for these deaths were New Zealand’s.
The Ministry of Interior (MoI) says at least five people were wounded after unidentified armed men lobbed two hand grenades close to a military training center in the capital Kabul early on Monday.
The spokesman of MoI, Nasrat Rahimi confirmed that the gunmen hurled two hand grenade close to Kabul Military Training Center at around 7:30 am local time.
Rahimi further added that the attack wounded five people including Afghan National Army personnel and a civilian.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.
Security forces have seized a massive arsenal of munitions of Taliban during an operation in northern Faryab province, officials said.
The 209th Shaheen Corps in a statement said the Security Forces conducted the operation in Qarghan district of Faryab.
According to the statement, the arsenal of weapons belonged to the shadow district chief of Taliban of Qarghan.
The security forces confiscated 100 rounds of rockets, 4 boxes of hand grenades, 100 mortar rounds, 50 rounds of rocket launcher rockets, 5000 rounds of PKM machine gun ammunition, 5000 rounds of Ak-47 rifle ammunition and several improvised explosive devices, the statement added.
The Taliban group has not commented on it so far.
At least four Afghan National Army (ANA) soldiers were wounded in a suicide attack targeting a military training center in the capital Kabul early Monday, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) confirmed.
The spokesman of MoI, Nasrat Rahimi said four soldiers were wounded when a suicide bomber detonated his explosives in Police District 19, targeting the Kabul Military Training Center on the western edge of Kabul.
“The incident took place at approximately 7:30 am,” Rahimi added.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but both the Taliban and IS-K insurgents have carried out attacks in the capital.
The explosions come just days after a suicide car bomb targeting a security firm in Kabul killed 12 people, including several children on their way to school.