Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
While details are scant on the nature of the Ghostrider’s first combat mission, U.S. special operations forces have remained heavily in the fight in Afghanistan.
The AC-130J Ghostrider gunship flew its first combat mission in Afghanistan in late June, deploying to relieve the AC-130U Spooky aircraft following the latter’s final combat sorties, an Air Force Special Operations Command spokesman confirmed to The War Zone on Wednesday.
According to the Northwest Florida Daily News, which first reported the news of the combat deployment, the mission took place “just days before” the June 28 change of command ceremony for new AFSOC commander Air Force Lt. Gen. James Slife at Hurlburt Field in Florida.
According to The War Zone, the 73rd Special Operation Squadron at Hurburt is currently flying the Ghostrider in Afghanistan, likely in a close air support or armed overwatch capacity.
The Taliban will refuse to negotiate with the team announced by the Afghan government, the militant group’s spokesman said on Saturday.
Spokesman Zabuhullah Mujahid said the group would not negotiate with the team as it was not selected in a way that included “all Afghan factions”
The Afghan government announced a team late on Thursday, which was later praised as “inclusive” by U.S. special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad.
Afghan local officials have confirmed that at least four people have been killed and two others have been wounded after fighting over a duck in Parwan province.
The spokesman of Parwan governor, Wahida Shahkar told Reporterly, “The four men were killed after a clash erupted over a duck in Bato Khail area of Bagram district.”
The spokesman of Police further added that Police forces have been deployed to the area and investigations are underway regarding the incident.
Afghanistan Supporting Open Media-Nai has called for allocating part of government’s emergency budget to media outlets.
Nai in a press release said that the financial status of the Afghan media community has declined in recent years and more than 200 media outlets across the country have stopped working.
It has emphasized that the spread of the coronavirus will accelerate the process of financial decline for the media community and will cause great damage to its body.
This comes as the total number of confirmed cases in Afghanistan reaches to 106.
The Ministry of Public Health has reported 15 new cases of the coronavirus in the country, including 11 cases in Herat, three in Farah and one in Ghazni province.
The ministry has confirmed the death of three people as a result of the coronavirus infection. Three people have recovered so far.
The ministry has confirmed that five people have recovered so far.
This comes as the government on Friday approved a lockdown plan for Kabul and its provincial districts that will be applied in the city for three weeks, starting on Saturday, March 28.
Earthquake Tremors were felt in
Islamabad and surrounding areas on Saturday.
The earthquake was measured at 4.7 magnitude and depth of 209 kms on the Richter scale.
The epicenter of the earthquake was Tajikistan-Afghanistan border area. No casulties has been reported so far.
Croatia will repatriate its troops who have completed their tour of duty in Afghanistan as part of NATO’s Resolute Support peace mission and whose return was temporarily delayed due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The government decided that the Croatian personnel would be flown back by a Croatia Airlines plane.
The repatriation of the 11th Croatian contingent from Afghanistan was scheduled for 27 March. A total of 140 troops are returning from Afghanistan, including 105 Croatians and 35 soldiers from allied partner countries (Montenegro – 26, North Macedonia – 7, and Albania – 2).
This contingent has already transferred its duty to the 12th contingent which comprises 108 soldiers.
At least eight members of Taliban ‘Red Unit’ group including their commander were killed by Afghan forces in northern Jawzjan province on Saturday, an official said.
The deaths happened after militants attacked Mardyan district around 1:30a.m. from three fronts triggering a clash that ended at 6:00a.m., said Abdul Maruf Azar, a spokesman for provincial governor.
Five other militants were seriously wounded in the clash, he said.
The clash left also three uprising forces killed and two police soldiers wounded, he added.
The Ministry of Defense (MoD) says Afghan security forces have retreated from four security outposts in Jaram District of Badakhshan province.
MoD in a press release said that the Taliban insurgents launched their attacks on Friday night.
According to the press release, Afghan forces were in defensive mode and pushed back a number of the Taliban’s attacks.
“Afghan forces have technicaly retreated and clashes are underway,” MoD said.
MoD refused to give details about the casualties of both sides.
However, Abdullah Naji Nazari, a provincial Council member of Badakhshan claimed at least ten security forces have been killed during the clashes.
A military veteran who lost part of his arm in Afghanistan has become the first person to receive a 3D-printed “hero arm” on the NHS.
Darren “Daz” Fuller lost the lower part of his right arm in Afghanistan in 2008 during an incident with mortar ammunition.
The 43-year-old, who lives in Colchester with his wife and four-year-old daughter Sky, enlisted in the Parachute Regiment in 1994 and served for 20 years.
He now works for Blesma, the limbless veterans’ charity, as an outreach officer.
The new multi-grip arm was funded through the NHS Veterans’ Prosthetics Panel.
Soldiers take part in NATO-led training mission for army, police and air force Luxembourg soldiers will continue serving in Afghanistan as part of a NATO mission for at least two more years with the government setting aside €4 million in funding annually to train local security forces.
The army sent its first contingent to Afghanistan in 2003 as part of NATO’s International Security and Assistance Force (ISAF), with the organisation taking over the command of security forces in the country.
Following the threat of pandemic coronavirus, India has allowed an Afghan Air Flight Company “Kam Air” to transfer the Afghan passengers from the country through five flights.
Head of the Civilian Air Traffic, Ghulam Massoum Massoumi said Friday that the flights would be containing around 2,000 passengers who have been stuck in India after Delhi has suspended flights to Kabul.
The flights would be conducted to Malviya Nagar, Bhogal, Lajpat Nagar of Delhi, according to Kam Air.
The members of the Security Council condemned in the strongest terms the heinous and cowardly terrorist attack that took place at the Dharamshala Sikh Temple in Kabul, Afghanistan, on 25 March 2020.
The UN Security Council in a press release expressed deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims and to the Government of Afghanistan and they wished a speedy and full recovery to those who were injured.
“The members of the Security Council reaffirmed that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to international peace and security,” the press release reads.
The members of the Security Council reiterated that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed.