Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
Local officials reported the arrest of 3 IS-K terrorists and 9 Taliban insurgents in Nangarhar province.
Shah Mahmood Miakhel, governor of Nangarhar told media on Thursday that, Nangarhar NDS forces have arrested 16 terrorists, insurgents and criminals in separate operations conducted during last week.
The detainees are three IS-K terrorists, 9 Taliban insurgents and 3 criminal offenders who were detained from the surrounding of Jalalabad city and Shinwar, Sorkh Rod, Bati Kot and Khogyani districts of the province, he said.
Miakhel further added that, 20 mines, 8 Kalashnikov, 3RPG, 2night vision, a motorcycle and some ammunition were seized.
The detainees have confessed to their crimes, according to governor of Nangarhar.
The third round of talks of Afghanistan-Pakistan action plan for peace and solidarity was held on Wednesday in Kabul, Ministry of Refugees said on Thursday.
The extension of refugees’ residence permit, access of immigrant’s students to Pakistani universities, providing long-term visa for students, traders and Afghans who are married to Pakistani citizens were among the most important issues discussed at the meeting, the statement said.
The meeting which was held between deputy refugees’ ministers of two countries, Afghan side talked about the efforts taken to prepare a comprehensive post-peace return plan and added that currently they are working on a program so that after coming peace, the country should be ready to host and integrate a large number of returnees, according to ministry of refugees.
Pakistan delegation also pledged to cooperate in these sectors with Afghanistan and also promised that soon the country will provide the data about the registered Afghan immigrants to Afghan relevant institutions.
Meanwhile, in a meeting with president Ghani in Islamabad, Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan has promised that first time that Afghan citizens living in Pakistan can open account in the country.
Provincial officials reported the killing of a Taliban red unit commander with 36 insurgents and the injury of Taliban shadow governor in Herat province.
Speaking to Reporterly on Thursday, Jilani Farhad, the spokesperson for Herat governor said that a widespread military operation is going on since past four days under supervision of Herat governor in eastern districts of the province.
As the operation is underway, Kabkan village of Obe district where Taliban have active presence was targeted by airstrike and commando forces on Thursday morning, and as a result 37 Taliban insurgents including Mullah Najib Taliban red unit commander were killed, according to Farhad.
He stressed that, Mullah Abdulaziz Ansari, Taliban shadow governor for Herat province who came to the area to support the insurgents was injured with his comrades.
The operation will continue to clear the insecurity from the districts of Herat province, Farhad emphasized.
He further said that two security forces were wounded in ground and village to village clearance operation.
Security officials have reported the killing of 9 Taliban insurgents in continuation of Shahin 103 Corps’s operation in Faryab province.
Faryab province press office in a statement said on Thursday that, in continuation of joint operation of ANDSF with the Shahin 103 in surrounding of Belcheragh district of the province, 4 villages wrere cleared of insurgents and a Humvee tank, 5 mines were discovered and 20 motorcycle were destroyed.
The statement added, 9 Taliban insurgents including a team-leader of the group were killed and 4 others were injured in the operation.
Three security forces were also injured in the operation, as per press office of Faryab.
UN Humanitarian Coordinator Toby Lanzer released a statement expressing grave concern with respect to three separate attacks between 6 and 9 July resulting in the death of five health workers employed by non-governmental organisations.
“My heartfelt condolences to the families of the deceased”, he said.
His statement pointed out that Afghanistan is among the world’s deadliest conflicts and all parties should protect and facilitate the work of aid workers, in particular those working in the health sector.
However, so far in 2019, 77 aid workers have been killed, injured or abducted compared with 76 in all of 2018.
Mr Lanzer emphasised that the International Humanitarian Law obliges all parties to protect humanitarian aid workers, health workers and infrastructure; where this has not been the case, incidents need to be investigated and the perpetrators brought to justice.
Recently, despite peace talks ongoing between Afghans, Taliban and US officials, Afghanistan saw a series of attacks by Taliban which resulted in death and injuries of scores of men, women and children.
A weapon cache belonging to Taliban insurgents was discovered in Logar province, as per security forces.
ANDSF discovered and seized a weapons cache belonged to Taliban insurgents in a special operation in surrounding of Kharwar district of Logar province, the Ministry of Defense said in a statement on Thursday.
According to the statement, 3 weapons, 100kg of explosive components and some other materials were seized by security forces in the operation.
Iranian boats reportedly approached a British tanker near the Strait of Hormuz, attempting to force the British vessel into territorial waters, but the five Iranian vessels were driven away by a British military ship, a senior U.S. defense official said Wednesday.
No shots were fired in the incident, which the senior defense official said occurred when five armed Iranian boats approached the British tanker, but those vessels were driven away by the HMS Montrose, which was around 4 miles behind the tanker, the senior defense official said.
The incident is the latest near the Strait of Hormuz, which is a strategic waterway off Iran’s coast and which separates the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman.
Capt. Bill Urban, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command, said in a statement that the U.S. military was “aware of the reports of Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corp Navy’s FAC/FIAC harassment and attempts to interfere with the passage of the UK-flagged merchant vessel British Heritage today near the Strait of Hormuz.”
Tensions have escalated between US and Iran since the former renewed sanctions on the latter.
Lutfullah Stanikzai has been appointed as the new CEO of Afghanistan’s Cricket Board, announced Afghanistan Cricket Board.
Afghanistan Cricket Board in a statement said on Thursday that after completing a competitive exam, Lutfullah Stanikzai has been appointed as the CEO of Cricket Board.
He has previously served in media and marketing areas of the Cricket Board.
Meanwhile, the cricket board has said that Aftab Alam is suspended from playing in all cricket games for one year because of non-compliance with the Cricket World Cup standards.
Deputy Minister of Security Gen Khoshal Sadat visited Ghazni province along with Minister of Defense Asadullah Khaled and NATO RS Commander Scott Miller.
They met the military commission, soldiers, people and wounded children of Sunday’s Taliban attack.
“The morale of ANDSF is admirable. We won’t let the terrorists succeed by killing civilians”, Gen Sadat said on Twitter.
On Sunday, attacks by Taliban occurred in Ghazni province which resulted in several deaths and injuries of civilians as well as security personnel.
President Ashraf Ghani met with the Doha meeting delegates on Wednesday, the Presidential Palace said in a statement.
Addressing the delegates, Ghani said the only logical way for peace is that the Taliban should start direct talks with the Afghan government.
The intra-Afghan conference on peace was held in Doha, and cohosted by Qatar and Germany this week. It lasted for two days and ended in a detailed statement in the consensus of the two sides for a sustainable peace in Afghanistan.
The International community has also commended this effort, and everybody is hoping that such talks become routine for establishing peace in Afghanistan.
With the arrival of the Russian missile defense system S-400, the Turkish foreign minister Hami Aksoy released a statement urging the US ro refrain from taking missteps that could hamper bilateral relations.
A statement was made by the US State Department spokesperson on July 9th regarding procurement of the S-400 air defense system.
“The conditions that led Turkey to procure S400 are well known. President Trump confirmed this at the G20 Summit and made it clear that our country was not fairly treated. From the very beginning, Turkey has shown a transparent approach on this matter. We have proposed to establish a technical working group, that could include NATO, to address U.S. concerns regarding the potential effects of the S400 system on F35s”, the statement said.
The statement added that Turkey’s proposal has been left unanswered so far and thus called upon the U.S. side to refrain from taking wrong steps, that would harm relations, by excluding diplomacy and dialogue.