Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
It has been reported that a foreign forces convoy had been targeted by a car bomb in Bagram district when the explosion took place, as informed to Reporterly by Parwan provincial governor spokesperson Wahida Shahkar.
2 Afghan civilians are reported to have been killed, and 5 others including 2 Afghan women and 3 foreign troopers have been injured, as per officials.
Local officials have reported an explosion in Parwan province.
Waheda Shahkar, a spokeswoman for the Parwan governor confirmed the blast, saying that the explosion took place in the Sey Dukan area of Bagram district.
Taliban have claimed responsibility for the attack saying that RS forces were the target.
No details about casualties reported yet.
Further details to follow.
Security officials have reported a suicide attack on the commander of the ANA fourth Brigade in Maidan Wardak province. The blast happened in Chak district center.
The spokesman for Maidan Wardak Police Chief, Hikmatullah Durani, told the Khabarnama that the commander of the ANA fourth brigade, General Abdul Raziq Sapai, had been targeted in a suicide attack.
The commander was injured and two ANA soldiers were also killed, Durani added. The four people who were killed were the commander’s guards.
No claim of responsibility yet.
Security officials have reported that 116 terrorists have been killed or wounded across 12 provinces of Afghanistan.
As a result of the invasive, airborne and cleanup operations of the security forces over the past 24 hours in the provinces of Helmand, Sar-e-Pul, Ghazni, Paktika, Kandahar, Uruzgan, Daikundi, Farah, Herat, Samangan, Nimruz, and Balkh, 85 terrorists were killed and 31 others wounded.
The statement added that during these operations, 50 kilograms of narcotics have been discovered, and several hideouts as well a significant amount of ammunition and explosives belonging to the terrorists were also destroyed.
On Wednesday, 8 Afghans who are set to compete in indoor rowing, powerlifting and sitting volleyball at the Invictus Games, are soon to leave for Sydney, Australia to participate.
In a statement by Invictus Afghanistan on Twitter, it was confirmed that Chief of General Staff General Yaftali addressed the Afghan Invictus Games team as their send-off was taking place.
Invictus Games are an international multi-sport event started by Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex which created a platform for wounded, injured or sick armed services personnel and their associated veterans to have them participate in sports. The 2018 Invictus Games are the 4th such event which will take place in Syndey,
On Wednesday, Deputy Foreign Minister Hekmat Khalil Karzai put up a letter of resignation from his post as the minister.
Mr Karzai who had been serving as deputy foreign minister since January 2015, cited “differences of opinion in national unity government” which “limited space” for his service as the reason for his resignation.
Two blasts were reported to have occurred in the Pul-e Alam city of Logar province on Wednesday caused by two rockets. Sources tell that the death toll stands at 2 but more information is anticipated.
No details of further casualty or claim of responsibility. More details to follow.
President Ashraf Ghani has condemned the killing of Jabar Qahraman in Wednesday’s explosion, calling the attack ‘barbaric’.
Mr Ghani said in a statement which was issued by the Presidential Palace that a full and thorough investigation has been launched into the incident.
President Ghani also expressed his condolences to the victims’ family and to others who were killed or injured in the explosion.
Afghanistan Independent Election Commission officials have announced that the 48-hour election silence before the parliamentary elections begins in few hours.
IEC commissioner, Wasima Badghisi, says that the electoral silence begins in few hours, and during this period, the media should not broadcast and publish the advertisements of the candidates or invite them to the media debates.
Badghisi went on to ask that during this period, efforts should be made to talk about the positive aspects of people’s participation in the elections; and that the media would positively reflect on the IEC activities.
Meanwhile, another IEC commissioner, Moazullah Dawlati, said that 400,000 cards were have been distributed to election observers including the media.
The Taliban have claimed responsibility of the explosion that took place in the campaign office of parliamentary candidate Abdul Jabbar Qahraman in which the candidate himself and 3 of his prominent advisors were killed.
7 others have been wounded and the incident took place on Wednesday.
In a press conference held on Wednesday, Interior Minister Barmak assured that the security measures and provisions are well in place for the upcoming elections on 20th October.
Mr Barmak also added that as many as 5070 polling stations will be open and operational for election process on the election day across the country.
It has been confirmed that apart from parliamentary candidate Abdul Jabbar Qahraman losing his life to the explosion, there have been 8 others who were left injured.
No immediate claim of responsibility has been out as of now.
It has been confirmed by local sources in Lashkargah that parliamentary candidate Abdul Jabbar Qahraman whose campaign office was targeted by an explosive has lost his life due to the attack.
The attack took place on Wednesday and it has also been reported that an explosive was planted under the candidate’s chair in the office.
More details to follow
Local sources report that an explosion took place that targeted the campaign office of parliamentary candidate Jabar Qahraman in PD1, of Lashkargah, Helmand.
Initial reports indicate that Jabar Qahraman may have lost his life in the explosion.
More details to follow.
Security officials have reported a Taliban attack on security outposts in Chak district of Maidan Wardak province.
The Taliban attacked these checkpoints last night, Hikmatullah Durani, spokesman for the Wardak police Chief informed.
Durani added that during the clash, security forces had to retreat from two outposts.
Wardak Police Spokesman confirmed that backup forces have been sent to the area.
6 security forces and 22 insurgents have been killed as the result of the clash.
The Taliban came out with a statement on Wednesday with a stern tone ordering teachers and school/university of any educational institute’s officials to refrain from using their schools as polling centres for the upcoming elections on 20th October.
In a disturbing warning left by Taliban, it was stated that the Taliban “do not wish to harm the any educational institute’s officials and teachers” in their attacks which makes their order to the teachers more like a blackmailing bargain.
The Afghan High Peace Council (HPC) on Tuesday rejected claims that they held any discussions regarding the withdrawal of foreign troops with the US Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad as well as with Taliban representatives in Qatar.