Latest news and happenings of Afghanistan and region…
The European Union has rejected a 60-day deadline set by Tehran for the remaining signatories to a 2015 nuclear deal to address Iran’s legal rights and protect its interests against US sanctions, saying, however, that the bloc will stay committed to the agreement for now.
In a joint statement released on Thursday, EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini and the foreign ministers of France, Germany and the UK expressed “great concern” about Iran’s recent suspension of some of its commitments under the accord — officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) — in reciprocation for Washington’s withdrawal last year.
Iran announced on Wednesday that it would stop exporting excess uranium and heavy water, setting a 60-day deadline for the five remaining parties to the deal — France, Germany, the UK, China and Russia — to take practical measures towards ensuring Iran’s interests in the face of the American sanctions that were re-imposed on Iran after Washington’s exit.
The top European diplomats said, “We reject any ultimatums and we will assess Iran’s compliance on the basis of Iran’s performance regarding its nuclear-related commitments under the JCPOA and the NPT (Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons). In this respect, we recall the key role of IAEA (International Atomic Energy Agency) monitoring and verification of the implementation by Iran of its nuclear-related commitments.”
Hanif Atmar wrote a statement on Twitter to condemn the terrorist attack in Kabul which happened on Wednesday. He wrote, “for any Muslim to see the suffering of another, especially during the holy month of Ramazan, a month of worship and compassion, must be heartbreaking.”
He also added that Taliban, who took responsibility for the attack know that such a senseless act of violence against civilians is contrary to Islam’s principles and the teachings of Islam’s Holy Prophet (PBUH), as well as a serious crime under international humanitarian law.
“I call on the Taliban, with whom we are engaged in a peace process, to renounce acts of violence during Ramazan. Taliban must also show their commitment to peace and an end to conflict by avoiding such attacks while a peace process and intra-Afghan dialogue are being pursued”, Atmar tweeted.
Afghan National Security Advisor Hamdullah Mohib says that the cases of Bagram prisoners will be investigated.
Mohib, while leading a security delegation visited Bagram prison on Wednesday. The delegation visited various parts of the Bagram prison including the hospital and library.
NSA Mohib has instructed the facility leadership of Bagram prison to ensure legal proceedings in timely manner and increase medical attention at the facility. According to ONSC, the Government of Afghanistan is committed to the rule of law & address all cases seriously.
Security forces announced the killing of 13 Taliban insurgents in Maidan Wardak province.
As a result of joint operation of security forces conducted on Wednesday night in Chak district of Maidan Wardak province, 13 Taliban insurgents were killed and six others were wounded, Ministry of Interior said on Thursday.
MoI added that three vehicles of insurgents were also seized by security forces in the operation.
Abbas Araghchi, Iran’s deputy foreign minister says that after intensifying US sanctions and perpetual decline in Iran’s income, the country may ask Afghan refugees to leave the country.
Media quoting Abbas Araghchi reported that, more than three million Afghans live in Iran and two million of them have occupied work opportunities. He said that these immigrants transfer three to five billion euro annually from Iran.
Iran’s deputy foreign minister added that 468,000 Afghan students are studying for free in Iran schools, the expense of each of them is 600 Euros annually, and 23000 other students study at Iranian universities, and each year 15,000 Euros is the expense for each of them.
“If the US sanctions effect our economy and oil sales reaches zero, the Islamic Republic of Iran is forced to consider a special policy for its economy, hence, we may not be able to shoulder all that and therefore we may ask our Afghan brothers and sisters to leave Iran”, Araghchi said.
ANDSF conducted a raid operation in Shah Walikot district of Kandahar province, which resulted in the killing of 6 Taliban insurgents & detaining 2 others. In another operation by the ANDSF in Sherzad district of Nangarhar province, four IS-K HQs destroyed.
Moreover, ANDSF conducted a raid operation in Khowaja Sabzposh district of Faryab province, which resulted in the killing of 6 Taliban insurgents & wounding 4 others.
The Afghan Air Force conducted airstrikes in Andkhoy district of Faryab province, which resulted in the killing of 33 Taliban insurgents & seriously wounding 2 others. In other airstrike two Taliban insurgents were killed in a Taliban HQ in Tarin Kot district of Uruzgan province, one armed insurgent was killed Deh Bala district of Nangarhar province, and finally one IS-K terrorist was killed in Shikha Qala area of Deh Bala district of Nangarhar province.
ANDSF operations resulted in detaining of four Taliban insurgents in Uruzgan, four in Kunar, two armed insurgents in Kabul, and one Taliban commander in Baghlan.
In a clash between the ANDSF & Taliban insurgents in Farsi district of Herat province, four Taliban insurgents were killed & two others were seriously wounded. In another clash between the ANDSF & Taliban insurgents in Muqor district of Ghazni province, 3 Taliban insurgents were killed & 2 others were wounded.
The Ministry of Interior has said that the death toll of the Taliban complex attack in Kabul on Wednesday includes 9 people and there were 20 who were wounded.
Of the total 9, three were civilians, one was a member of the security forces special unit, four were members of public protection force and one was a guard of the group.
On Wednesday the Taliban carried out a complex attack targeted at American organisations Counterpart International in PD10 of Kabul.
Chief Executive Abdullah Abdullah has released a statement on Twitter saying “The Taliban embody crime”, while expressing his condemnation of the complex attack carried out by Taliban in Kabul on Wednesday.
He wrote “The “Taliban” embody crime, which is not amenable to peaceful conflict resolution initiatives. They misinterpret our goodwill as weakness and misuse peace negotiations to seek legitimacy for heinous crimes of the sort they committed yesterday in Kabul.”
The attack was targeted at an American organisation called Counterpart International which is situated in the PD10 of Kabul.
The international community including UN and US also condemned Wednesday’s attack. The attack comes just as US-Taliban talks are scheduled in Qatar.
The United States will need to keep counterterrorism forces in Afghanistan until there is no insurgency left in the country as per the top U.S. general Joseph Dunford.
Gen Dunford, Chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff suggested a far longer military presence even after more than 17 years of war.
“I think we will need to maintain a counterterrorism presence as long as an insurgency continues in Afghanistan,” General Joseph Dunford said during a congressional hearing, as reported by Reuters.
The United States is currently in talks with the Taliban to seek an end to the nearly 18-year-long conflict.