Kabul: Voicing caution to the entire global community, the Lower House of the Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee on Tuesday said that an irresponsible withdrawal of US and NATO troops from Afghanistan will have dire consequences.
“The withdrawal is welcome by the Afghan people; but it must be done responsibly taking into account the security situation in Afghanistan. Irresponsible withdrawal without establishing an alternative security mechanism will impose an irreparable penalty on international security,” the statement added.
The House Foreign Affairs Committee said that any hasty action will again turn Afghanistan into a hub of terrorism. According to the Declaration, the US government must fulfill its commitments in the security, political, and economic sectors under the Kabul-Washington Security Agreement and the Strategic Agreement.
The statement said that the protection of national sovereignty, territorial integrity of Afghanistan, guarantee of the fundamental rights of the Afghan people and the joint fight against terrorism are important parts of these commitments which must be taken into account. “US government should provide the Afghan government with facilities in the event of a military deployment and the international community should support the peace talks,” added the statement.
According to the declaration, in order to strengthen the republican system, the Afghan government must adhere to the principle of the rule of law and the legal powers of the House of Representatives and share decisions on the major national issue of war and peace with the National Assembly and after approval by the National Assembly.
The statement also called on the US government to work for the fulfillment of the Taliban’s commitment to ceasefire and reduce violence, sever ties with terrorist networks and begin constructive talks to end the war and ensure a just and lasting peace in Afghanistan.
Meanwhile, the British foreign secretary Dominic Raab said that the United Kingdom has received good consultation from his US counterpart on Washington’s decision to draw down troops from Afghanistan after a meeting with Antony Blinken in London on Monday. The talks came before the first G7 foreign ministerial meeting in more than two years.
Raab said the US had not ignored the UK on Afghanistan and added that promoting dialogue and a peace process that benefitted all Afghans is necessary and that they will leave the country as stable and inclusive as possible.
The visiting secretary confirmed the US had actively consulted its NATO partners and allies before President Joe Biden made his decision on withdrawing troops from Afghanistan. “We are very focused on a deliberate, safe and orderly drawdown of our forces. We’ve made absolutely clear that as we withdraw forces from Afghanistan, we will protect them,” Blinken continued.
If the troops were attacked, the American diplomat warned, they would take decisive action in response. Blinken promised the US would remain active diplomatically in terms of trying to advance negotiations and a political settlement between the Afghan government, the Taliban and other key parties. “We intend to sustain our assistance to Afghanistan, including development, economic, humanitarian; our support for Afghanistan’s security forces as well.”
Afghanistan’s regional partners too discussed the peace process. Pakistani Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa met Ambassador of China to Pakistan Nong Rong and discussed recent developments in Afghan peace process, among other issues.
The Chinese ambassador appreciated Pakistan’s sincere efforts for peace and stability in the region, especially Afghan peace process.
Earlier on Saturday, the Extended Troika on Peaceful Settlement in Afghanistan, comprising the US, Russia, China and Pakistan, has called upon the Afghan parties to progress towards an inclusive political settlement and a comprehensive and permanent ceasefire.