US Special Representativ for Afghanistan Reconciliation Zalmay Khalilzad says there is no delay in resumption of intra-Afghan talks.
Khalilzad in a series of tweets on Monday said that the two Afghan negotiating teams announced in Doha they will take 20 days off to “consult on the agenda items.”
“Given how much is at stake, it is imperative that there is no delays in resumption of talks and they must resume on Jan 5 as agreed,” Khalilzad said.
“Tragically, the war continues. The need for a political settlement, reduction in violence, and a ceasefire remain urgent,” he added.
This comes as President Ashraf Ghani in a cabinet meeting today emphasized that the next round of the intra-Afghan talks should be held in Afghanistan.
The peace negotiations witnessed a breakthrough earlier this month after the two sides agreed on procedural rules for the talks.
The working groups of both teams held three meetings to discuss the agenda of the talks last week.
Their meetings were expected to be held this week but were delayed as the two sides were consulting internally on the demands to be included in the agenda of the talks.
The peace delegations of both sides announced to take a break and continue peace talks on January 5.
Following the agreement on rules and procedures and breaking the deadlock both parties announced a break.