Classified UK Ministry of Defense Documents found At Bus Stop

Kabul: Classified UK Ministry of Defense documents containing details about HMS Defender and the British military have been found at a bus stop in Kent. One set of documents discusses a possible UK military presence in Afghanistan after the US-led Nato operation there ends.

The government said an investigation had been launched. A Ministry of Defense spokesperson said that an employee had reported the loss of sensitive defense papers, adding, “It would be inappropriate to comment further.”

The documents, almost 50 pages in all, were found in a soggy heap behind a bus stop in Kent early on Tuesday morning. A member of the public, who wishes to remain anonymous, contacted the BBC when he realized the sensitive nature of the contents. The BBC believes the documents, which include emails and PowerPoint presentations, originated in the office of a senior official at the Ministry of Defense (MoD).

There are also briefing notes for last Monday’s session of the UK-US Defense Dialogue, including observations on President Joe Biden’s first months in office. But one document, addressed to Ben Wallace’s private secretary, and marked “Secret UK Eyes Only”, outlines highly sensitive recommendations for the UK’s military footprint in Afghanistan, following the end of Operation Resolute Support, the NATO operation currently winding down in the wake of President Biden’s decision earlier this year to withdraw American forces.

The document discusses an American request for British assistance in several specific areas, and addresses the question of whether any British special forces will remain in Afghanistan once the withdrawal is complete. Media reports have already suggested Britain is considering leaving some forces behind.

Due to the sensitivity of the document, the BBC has decided not to report details which could endanger the security of British and other personnel in Afghanistan. But amid reports of a worsening security situation in the country, it sounds several warnings.

“Any UK footprint in Afghanistan that persists… is assessed to be vulnerable to targeting by a complex network of actors,” it says, noting that “the option to withdraw completely remains.” Afghanistan, it says, is already becoming more dangerous.

The reduced presence of NATO forces “is already impairing the situational awareness that we (and the US) used to enjoy across the country”. No Britons have been killed in Afghanistan since the US-Taliban deal in February 2020, it says, but “this would be unlikely to remain the status quo”.

Rarely has a collection of lost documents covered such a wide range of important areas. This is a major embarrassment for the Ministry of Defense, which is currently carrying out a detailed investigation into how the papers came to be lying on a street corner, in the rain, in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

+ posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Latest from Newsfeed; Sunday, June 27 2021