NATO’s Pontecorvo Takes Charge in Kabul
Stefano Pontecorvo, NATO’s new Senior Civilian Representative (SCR) in Afghanistan, arrived in Kabul today. The Italian ambassador will be working with the NATO-led Resolute Support mission which trains, advises and assists the Afghan security forces and institutions.
The diplomat will advise the NATO Secretary General and the North Atlantic Council on the Alliance’s efforts in Afghanistan and maintain relations with Afghan partners.
“Stunned by these beautiful views of Afghanistan as I’ve landed today. I’m honored to be in Kabul at this pivotal moment for Afghan peace process representing NATO. We remain committed to a peaceful and secure Afghanistan resulting from a comprehensive negotiated settlement,” Pontecorvo tweeted.
Pontecorvo has previously served as Italy’s Ambassador to Pakistan for more than four years. He replaces Ambassador Nicholas Kay of the U.K., who had been in the post since March 2019.
- Education for Women Still Only on Paper in The Taliban Regime
- Will Not Allow Imposed War To Hurt People Any More: Ghani Tells Citizens
- Taliban Seeking Battlefield Victory: US State Department
- President Ghani Arrives In Balkh To Review Security Situation
- Qatar To Host Two Back-To-Back Meetings On Afghanistan’s Peace Process
- Situation In Afghanistan Concerning: Khalilzad
- Taliban Cannot Expect World To Stand By Them If They Take Afghanistan By Force: Blinken
- Biden Signs Legislation To Increase Visas For Allies Who Worked Alongside US Troops In Afghanistan
- US Escalates Airstrikes Against Taliban Targets
- US Airstrikes To Support Afghan Forces To Continue: McKenzie