The Afghan Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) expressed its condolences over the death of the 12 victims who were killed in the stampede while applying for Pakistani visas in Jalalabad, Nangarhar on Wednesday, and said the ministry will work with the relevant authorities to streamline the process.
In a statement on Thursday, the MFA said that some of the causes that led to the stampede was the “unprecedented” increase in visa applicants due to the lifting restrictions of the COVID-19 restrictions and the announcement Pakistan’s new long-term visa regime.
The people had been gathered at a football stadium, some distance away from the consulate to avoid overcrowding. However, the MFA said that measures to manage the crowd were lacking.
The ministry said that they will work in “cooperation and coordination” with the Pakistani Embassy and the Nangarhar leaders to implement the new visa regime using “sound” management methods and take necessary measures.
The Pakistani Embassy also expressed its grief over the incident in Jalalabad on Wednesday and said that they will work with Afghan authorities for better facilitation of visa applicants.