NDS Arrest IS-K Mastermind Behind Assassination Of Mawlawis In Kabul Explosions
The National Directorate of Security (NDS) said they had arrested the IS-K operative who was one of the masterminds behind the assassination of Mawlawi Mohammad Ayaz Niazi and Mawlawi Azizullah Mofleh.
The man, identified as Obaidullah, known as Akrama, is the “commander of Daesh operations in the north and northeast of Afghanistan,” the NDS said in a statement on Thursday.
He was a member of the Haqqani Network who received terrorist and intelligence training in North Waziristan, Pakistan, and travelled to Afghanistan to carry out terrorist operations.
With the emergence of the Khorasan branch of the Islamic State (IS), Obaidullah joined the group and had worked alongside Shahab al-Muhajir, the new IS-K chief, indicating that he was an important person within the group in Afghanistan.
They also said he had confessed to being “one of the main masterminds” behind the explosions in the Wazir Akbar Khan Mosque on June 6, and the Sher Shah Suri Mosque on June 12 in Kabul.
Mawlawi Mohammad Ayaz Niazi, the imam of the Wazir Akbar Khan Mosque in downtown Kabul, was one of the two fatalities of the suicide bombing on the mosque during evening prayers. The other victim had been an Afghan security personnel, while two others had been wounded.
The blast in the Sher Shah Suri Mosque in the Karte-e Char area of the capital, during Friday prayers, had killed four people, including the imam, Mawlawi Azizullah Mofleh and wounded at least eight.
Obaidullah was arrested in an operation when he had tried to attack a mosque in Kunduz province, NDS said.
- Education for Women Still Only on Paper in The Taliban Regime
- Will Not Allow Imposed War To Hurt People Any More: Ghani Tells Citizens
- Taliban Seeking Battlefield Victory: US State Department
- President Ghani Arrives In Balkh To Review Security Situation
- Qatar To Host Two Back-To-Back Meetings On Afghanistan’s Peace Process
- Situation In Afghanistan Concerning: Khalilzad
- Taliban Cannot Expect World To Stand By Them If They Take Afghanistan By Force: Blinken
- Biden Signs Legislation To Increase Visas For Allies Who Worked Alongside US Troops In Afghanistan
- US Escalates Airstrikes Against Taliban Targets
- US Airstrikes To Support Afghan Forces To Continue: McKenzie