Afghan Taliban representatives and US officials will sit down for two days of peace talks on Wednesday in Qatar but Afghan government officials will not be involved, senior Taliban members said, quoted in a report by Reuters.
“After mutual consultations, we are going to meet US officials in Doha on Wednesday. The meeting will continue for two days – Wednesday and Thursday,” said a senior member of the Afghan Taliban on condition of anonymity.
Ealier this week, Taliban officials informed that the group has cancelled the talks in Riyadh.
“We were supposed to meet U.S. officials in Riyadh next week and continue our peace process that remained incomplete in Abu Dhabi last month,” a senior Taliban member told Reuters on Sunday.
“The problem is that leaders of Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) wanted us to definitely meet the Afghan government delegation, which we cannot afford to do now, and we have canceled the meeting in Saudi Arabia,” he said.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid also confirmed the group has decided to cancel the meeting in Saudi Arabia.