What happened? Local sources in Takhar province said that on Thursday afternoon an explosion took place in front of the governor’s provincial office in Taleqan city.
- Eyewitnesses said that an explosion from an improvised explosive device (IED) was heard around the Taleqan city. Local sources who spoke to Reporterly said that the explosion may have resulted in casualties.
- Local sources have said that three people have been killed and five others have been injured in the explosion, but Reporterly’s sources didn’t confirm the figure.
- So far, no person or group has claimed responsibility for this explosion.
Zoom out: Since the Taliban seized power in August 2021, the country has been targeted by various security incidents.
- In fact, even Taliban fighters have been targeted mostly by the Islamic State-Khorasan, an offshoot of IS. Despite the Taliban’s assertions that security has improved since they retook control in a coup in 2021, dozens more bombings and other assaults have taken place. Recently, suicide bombing in Kabul in January on the road outside the Taliban’s foreign ministry, killed five people and injured many more. In October last year, an assault on a mosque located on the premises of the Taliban’s Interior Ministry in Kabul resulted in the deaths of four individuals and the injuries of twenty-five more.
- The United Nations too through its various statements has lamented the grave and deteriorating security environment of the country.